Scared to Brave

I wake up with a siren and notice I've fell asleep next to Jordan. Johann wakes up with a jolt and takes my hand tightly. The wind blows hard, making Jordan wake up. He peeks outside and grabs my hand and I jolt up to my feet. Without letting me think everything through, where up and running again. The siren comes from a siren that has being knocked down. We run north as the third twister, this night, goes east. We come to a halt and I rest my head on a palm tree with my left hand keeping support.

"We need to keep moving." Jordan says.

"Can I breathe?" I ask as I turn my head towards him.

"It's gonna come back." Jordan says.

"I don't think I can continue." I say as I drop to the floor slowly.

"Yes you can, Casey." Jordan says. "Come on."

"No. I can't. I'm just too tired." I say as I let out a breathe.

"If we continue we can find shelter. Come on." Jordan says. I stare into his eyes as my eyes fill with tears. I look at Johann who sits on the ground looking up at the sky. I can't give up, no matter who much pain I am in.

"Okay." I say weakly. I stand up with the support of the palm tree and grab Johann's hand.

"Where are we going?" Johann asks softly.

"We're going to find shelter. We'll spend the night there and at day we'll find out what we can do." Jordan says. As soon as we find shelter again, Johann falls quickly asleep; knowing how long he was alone he could have being, I let him fall asleep on my lap.

"You should get some sleep." Jordan says to me.

"Not tired." I say. There's a pause between us.

"Can I tell you something?" Jordan asks me. I nod and he sits down next to me. He lets out a breathe and I see his eyes fill with tears.

"I can't be the brave kid anymore." Jordan stutters. "I'm scared." A guy admitting this isn't something you see everyday. I see as he cries, letting the tears fall down. I do the only thing I think of; I put a hand around his shoulders and whisper in his ear. "I'm scared too. But we can make it through this. We've made it this far. . . thanks to you."

"I'm always the one who has to be strong for my younger brothers. I'm suppose to show them how to be brave." Jordan says as his tears fall down.

"And you've done a good job." I say. Jordan wipes away his tears.

"When do you think we'll be rescued?" Jordan asks softly.

"I don't know." I answer. "But I do know its soon." We stay silent with the wind completely still and absolute quiet. Minutes later I fall asleep knowing that Jordan already did his part of the job, not its my turn to be the brave one.