18

Danielle

Dakota and I decided to go shopping for Daniel. She was seven months pregnant meaning the baby could come anytime soon.

"Hello"I answered while searching in my
purse for gum.

"Hey Danielle, you want to go grab a bite to eat since I wasn't able to yesterday?"She mumbled. It sounded like she just woke up.

"I'm sorry Rachel I'm busy. I'm helping Dakota look for some clothes"I told her.

"Who?"She questioned. "Whatever we'll go
tomorrow"She responded. An attitude was quite evident in her voice.

She hung up before I could say something. She had no reason to catch and attitude. I get she got back from honeymoon, but she had plenty of hours to rest before coming with me to my birthday dinner. Hell, even August flew home to visit me. She was only ten minutes away.

"I'm ready"I have Dakota a slight smile.

"Girl you gonna have to help me up because this big belly of mine"She chuckled while reaching out her arms.

I went and grabbed her hand and pulled her up. We both walked outside and hopped into my car.

***

We were in infant store looking around. Our buggy was filled to the top with clothes. I squealed and held up an article of clothing.

"Aw, look at this cute onzie"I smiled while holding it up.

"That is so adorable"She agreed while looking at the yellow onzie I was holding. It had duck feet on the bottom with a hoodie that contained a beak.

"We have to get this"I begged.

Dakota nodded in agreement. I tossed it in the buggy and pushed it to the next isle.

"Shit this is a lot of clothes"Dakota let out a huff while staring down at the basket.

"Don't be cussing around my nephew" I warned while stopping at the toy section.

She laughed. Soon some chick passed by us. When I tell you guys, she was busted from head-to-toe. I know it's not good to make fun of people, but it was hilarious.

Dakota and I stared at each other and then busted out laughing.

"We are to much"I shook my head and pushed the buggy towards check out. We separated the clothes we were gonna by and the employee rung them up.

Next Day

"Hey Rach' you still down for going somewhere today?"I asked while combing my hands through my hair.

"Yeah, let's go to the mall"She suggested.

"Bet"

"The one in Glenn Oak"

"Gotcha, see you there"

*

"Hey Rachel, this is Dakota, I met her at the beach"I smiled while introducing them. They both awkwardly shook hands.

"What are you having?"Rachel questioned.

"I'm not expecting"Dakota said in a solemn tone.

Rachel's eyes went buck-wide. She covered her mouth trying to laugh.

"I am so sorry"She quickly apologized. "I swear I didn't mean that in a funny way"

"I'm messing with you"Dakota smiled while rubbing her belly. "I'm having a boy"

The joke didn't really sit well with Rachel. I could tell by the change of her face. "Oh"

••

"Then Dakota's ass began to flirt with the waiter, and he was all for it, but when he saw that her ass was pregnant, he almost ran"I giggled while telling the story from the other day.

Dakota and I sat there laughing until tears streamed out our eyes. I noticed that Rachel had a straight-face the entire time. I quickly cleared my throat and we both stopped.

"Um yeah"Dakota said.

"So Rachel how was your honey moon"i asked.

She started to tell us what happened.

"Thanks Rachel for the perfume set"I smiled while Dakota and I both got in my car. "Congratulations again"

"Thank you Dani and no problem"She slightly smiled. "I'll catch you later, hopefully just us"

"Uh, Yeah"I nervously laughed. Good thing Dakota was too distracted to hear Rachel's comment. "Bye"

I sat down in my car.

Next Day

"Where are you going?"I questioned and directed my attention towards Dakota. She smiled while slipping on her shoes

"My parents and I are talking things out over dinner"She sighed. "Oh shoot, I'm late, by Dani"

Dakota quickly rushed out.

I really wanted her to stay. Today marks a year of my mom passing away and I needed something to distract me, but instead, I sat crying while reminiscing on the times we had.

***

I sat down on the grass. There had already been flowers laid there. I placed my own next to them.

"Ma"I started. "If only you could be here to witness all of my accomplishments. I hope that your somewhere listening and watching over me"

"She is"I heard a voice say causing me to jump. I turned around and August stood with his hands in his pockets.

"How did you know I was here?"I asked while wiping a tear from my cheek. I stood up and he immediately hugged me.

"You weren't home, and I never forget"He mumbled. "I couldn't forget"