The Truth

Luke: That's right, R2. We're going to the Dagobah system. I have a promise to keep... to an old friend.

Y/N: Old is a polite way of putting it. Granted, I haven't seen him in what feels like forever. But he's got to be almost ancient by now.

Luke: He might be senile more than anything else.

Y/N: Was he acting insane?

Luke: Yeah. Wouldn't have known he was a Jedi Master if he didn't tell me.

Y/N: That's just Yoda. He likes playing with your mind.

-------------------

A Super Star Destroyer and several ships of the Imperial Fleet rest in space above the half-completed Death Star and its green neighbor, Endor. Four squads of TIE fighters escort an Imperial shuttle toward the Death Star.

Lord Vader strides down the hallway, accompanied by a very nervous Death Star commander.

Thousands of Imperial troops in tight formation fill the mammoth docking bay. Vader and the officer walk to the landing platform, where the shuttle is coming to rest.

The shuttle's ramp lowers and the Emperor's Royal Guards come out and create a lethal perimeter. The assembled troops move to rigid attention with a momentous snap.

Then, in the huge silence which follows, the Emperor appears. He is a rather small, shriveled old man. His bent frame slowly makes its way down the ramp with the aid of a gnarled cane. He wears a hooded cloak similar to the one Obi-Wan wears, except that it is black. The Emperor's face is shrouded and difficult to see, except for his piercing yellow eyes. Commander Jerjerrod and Darth Vader kneel to him. The Supreme Ruler of the galaxy beckons to the Dark Lord.

Emperor: (to Vader) Rise, my friend.

Vader rises and falls in next to the Emperor as he slowly makes his way along the rows of troops. Jerjerrod and the other commanders stay kneeling until the Supreme Ruler and Vader, followed by several Imperial dignitaries, pass by; only then do they join in the procession.

Vader: The Death Star will be completed on schedule.

Emperor: You have done well, Lord Vader. And now I sense you wish to continue your search for young Skywalker. And even more, your pursuit of your brother.

Vader: Yes, my Master. I have unfinished business.

Emperor: Patience, my friend. In time he will seek you out. And when he does, you must bring him before me. He has grown strong. Only together can we turn him to the dark side of the Force. Bring your brother as well. I will handle him first.

Vader: As you wish.

Emperor: Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen.

He cackles to himself as they pass along the vast line of Imperial troops.

-------------------

Once again, R2 finds himself waiting around in the damp environs of the swamp planet, and he's none too happy about it. He beeps disconsolately to himself and turns to look at Yoda's cottage. Warm yellow light escapes the oddly shaped windows to fight the gloom.

The tip of a walking stick taps hesitantly across the earthen floor of the cottage. Up the stick to the small green hand that clutches it, and then to the familiar face of Yoda, the jedi master. His manner is frail, and his voice, though cheerful, seems weaker.

Yoda: Hmm. That face you make, Skywalker. Look I so old to young eyes?

Y/N and Luke are sitting in different corners of the cramped space and, indeed, his look has been woeful. Caught, he tries to hide it.