Chapter 11

Apples taste sweet

Ally tilted her head a little to the left. "Well, of course it's weird," she thought sarcastically but decided to not to express this thought. Instead, she humored him by smiling sweetly at him.

"Strange? What do you mean?"

"Then why did you take this job then?"

Ally couldn't help but stared at him incredulously, "Are we playing twenty-one questions or something? Seriously? You're asking me these questions now? A little too late for that don't you think? Beside, you're the one who hired me. I took this job because I needed the money, simple as that. "

"So you're saying that you would have done anything to get the amount of cash I'm giving you?" he asked incredulous.

Ally made a face. A I-can't-believe-we're-actually-taking-about-this, face. "No, I won't sleep with you, if that's what you're angling for" she replied as she pushed through the car's door and headed toward the house.

Kyle followed Ally into the house loosening his tie. "You know, for a girl your mind sure goes straight to the gutter."

Well, what did he excepted? 'Money' and 'do anything' was in a sentence together.

Ally turned around facing and surveying Kyle before answering. "I wouldn't, okay? I thought that you needed someone to mange your house. A housekeeper remember? This job was suppose to be easy, I clean your house and you pay me lots of money. Instead you unknowingly sprang the whole 'wanted a wife' clause. I should have known this job paid too much just for housekeeping."

"So why did you take it then," Kyle demanded.

Ally slightly frowned at his odd behavior before calmly explaining, "Well, you made the rules simple, I pretend to be your wife and I get paid. No extra benefits and extra pay when the job is done. Your family is happy because they think you're settling down. You're happy because you're not, and I'm happy because I get a job."

Kyle scrunched his brows upset at Ally. Annoyed that she was explaining it to him as if he was some stupid child.

"Once your real fiancee is gone, no real marriage for you, and I would have done my job. So....are we good now? Are we up to date with everything now?" she asked.

"I know! I simply asked you these questions because you actually seem intelligent. Why would someone like you, somehow ended up with this kind of job?"

Ally stared at Kyle for a second before asking, "Are you saying that you only hired me because you thought I was dumb?"

"Wait, what!? No! Of course not!" Kyle answered. Frustrated, he ran his hand over his hair. He left out a frustrated sighed before narrowing his eyes at her. Of course that would be the only thing she hears. Her? Intelligent? Kyle must have lost his mind for a second to think that.

Ally leisurely walked towards the kitchen to put away some apples that Kyle's grandmother has given them. She paused for a second, then gradually put two apples on the counter while placing the rest in the refrigerator. She washed the two apples in the sink and dried them off with a paper towel. She grabbed a kitchen knife and carefully started to peel the apple skin off forming a nice long strip.  "So why the sudden interest in your wife?" She smiled.

"Ha. Ha, very funny," Kyle retorted as he sat down on his couch and pulled back his head. His neck resting at just the edge at the back of the couch, closing his eyes. "I...I'm just worried is all."

Ally, who had been listening and carefully cutting the apples suddenly felt like teasing him. The corner of her lips inched slightly upwards, "Don't tell me...you have an interest in me?"