Chapter 10 : Enigmatic Redhead

【Third Person POV】

⠀⠀⠀⠀"From now on, you will work as a courtesan under the influence and recommendation of a powerful figure whom identity we cannot reveal," spoke one of the higher level courtesans, her hair jet black and shiny, decorated by gold and silver metals in all shaped and sizes; her skin almost as fair as Azalea's, but still lost since the latter had skin as pale as snow; her outfit a mix of red and faint pink that swept the floor whenever she walked.

⠀⠀⠀⠀"... Yes," was all she could answer. She was seated on the ground, her knees resting on a thin pillow on the ground. The courtesan walked forward, her footsteps silent against the ground as she moved gracefully. She reached a slender hand towards the face of the girl and her fingers curled upon her chin. Azalea's face was tilted upwards, her red lips shone under the sunlight pouring in from one of the open holes that was supposedly a window. She wore a bored and emotionless expression as usual since she was brought in yesterday morning.

⠀⠀⠀⠀"You'll fetch a high price, I suppose." The standing woman's gaze darted into the bored eyes of the seated lady, a threatening gaze that could send chills down anyone. But she wasn't afraid; death was no fear of hers anymore. In fact, death was an option for her. Perhaps she would partake in it some day soon when all is too overwhelming. Simple as that, really. "You're at that age, too. But our policy is to not have our newbies offer services until a certain time frame has passed." Her voice echoed in the small room as she stood up slowly with the help of her attendant - a child, which was normal in this line of work. She stood up and made her exit rather silently as she slid the doors open and walked out of the room. The brunette remained in the premise, her legs numb from sitting for such a period of time but her face still emotionless. Neither pain nor sorrow ever graced her lips since her arrival even though the memories of hatred and loathing rang clearly in her conscience.

⠀⠀⠀⠀Night befell the streets of Yoshiwara as the darkness dyed the sky and lanterns graced the streets. Loud chatters filled the streets as well as the sounds of laughter that filled the air. The smell of saké diffused into the air rather quickly as the evening had already come. The roads were filled with men idly chatting or walking, and the occasional high-ranking courtesan whom often provided a beautiful sight for sore eyes. Meanwhile, in the familiar shop where our main character was 'sold' to, every single room was lit up brightly and noisy beyond control with music and laughter. Smoke and alcohol polluted the air, and no one seemed to mind.

⠀⠀⠀⠀At the very same time, it was also a period for the members of Teiko to take the final round for the night. It seemed that a familiar redhead was in charge of tonight's rounding, as he was seen crossing his arms and stalking the road. The black haired heroine was seated cross-legged behind some wooden bars which separated the interior of the shop and the outside which were the streets of Yoshiwara. She was not to be sold for 'services' yet, but she was to attend to the basic needs of men such as accompaniment and such. Heterochromatic eyes followed the movements of the brunette courtesan from the shadows and scanned her head to toe. Feelings of regret coiled in his stomach and a piercing pain enveloped his body.

⠀⠀⠀⠀It was then, one of the ruffians whom were believed to be causing trouble around the streets of Edo had emerged. "Taka... Don't you think we should be more vigilant...? According to Koku's tip-off, they should be on rounds now," a voice echoed silently in the noisy street.

⠀⠀⠀⠀"Nah, that's just a waste of time. Anyway, you don't see any samurai in turquoise overalls now do you?" He questioned, seeming laid back as could be compared to his rather tense companion. "Besides, I think I see something worthwhile." Akashi followed the line of sight of the delinquent. As expected to his horror and disdain, his gaze landed on Azalea.