Chapter 10

We get out of Simon's band van, the sun has already set, therefore we're only able to see our surroundings due the barrels of fire that are scattered throughout the area, which only make this place creepier.

Alec, Jace and Izzy are scanning the area looking for any possible danger or threat. "Well, this place really lives up to it's name." I playfully remark trying to ease the tension, both mine and my friends. Not that Alec, Jace and Izzy needed it though.

"Yeah. This place isn't creepy." Simon sighs, looking around. "Not at all." Steph adds, sarcastically. I hug myself due the cold breeze.

"Don't tell me you're afraid." Izzy chuckles at my friends, but still careful at her surroundings. Simon scoffs. "Are you kidding? I was born afraid." He tries to sound confident, "Which sounded a lot better in my head." He adds, embarrassed, but Izzy just chuckles again.

"Let's check it out." Alec says already moving forward, confidently. We all make motion to follow but Jace stops us. "Wait here a minute. I wanna see if it's safe." He commands us, and take off. I whirl around to look at my friends.

"What an amazing night, isn't it?" I babble, still trying to bring some humor to the situation. Clary chuckles, and Steph glance at me with raised eyebrows "Really, As?" She asks me, sardonic. I open my mouth to answer her, but Simon steps into the conversation.

"Why are we doing this? We don't even know these people." Simon stressed, more to Clary though. I divert my gaze to where Alec went, tuning out the conversation around me. I start to look around, and I feel the chills again, the same I felt at Pandemonium. I have a bad feeling. But i'm pull out of my daze when Jace calls out for us. "Guys, come on. It's all clear."

We start to move towards him, making our way to an old building. This is probably where all horror movies begins. I sigh to myself. We stop at the entrance what I assume must be City of Bones.

"You have to understand, the Silent Brothers aren't like us." Jace begins to explain.

"They lack your charm and superior people skills?" I ask him, sarcastically. "Yeah, most people don't." He replies, cheeky, but continues. "Brothers communicate without using words, using just their thoughts." He finishes.

"That doesn't sound so bad." Clary tells, with uncertainty. "Don't let their silence fool you. They'll-" A hand grasps my arm, pulling me aside from the group, so i'm unable to hear Jace's explanation. I look up and I see ocean eyes staring at me.

"I need you to pay attention to what am about to explain, got it?" He commands, serious. I can only nod at him, especially due our close proximity.

"We're going in, but after inside we'll part ways from Jace and Clary. First because I assume they'll take longer than us, since retrieving lost memories takes a while, and it's safer for us the less we stay here. Second, we are going to talk with Brother Jeremiah, therefore we're going in opposite directions than them." He explains, looking deep into my eyes, still with his hands holding my arms.

"He will give us short and sometimes confuse answers. But he will answer what he can, what the brothers allow. When he can't say anything else we'll know." He continues, "Keep what Jace said in mind. Do not let his silence fool you, got it?" He asks me, serious. And again I just nod quickly my head. Jeez, what's with me and my lack of words today? 

His eyes softens and he let go of my arms "Stay close to me." He states while straightening up.

"Duly noted." I say, saluting him with my right hand, trying to sound brave, but probably failing at it, since he chuckles at me. Well, at least I made him chuckle, it's a score!

He motions for me to follow him, and starts to walk. I do as he says, and walk closer to him. I mean, if one of the Avengers tells you to do something so you'll be safe, you just do it. When we get closer to my friends, Simon's apparently reassuring Clary that she can do it.