Chapter 18

"Is your mother's thing urgent? " I ask him, walking into the Institute. My back stopped itching a few minutes after we left Magnus's apartment.

"Theoretically it is, but it can wait." He tells me, looking ahead.

"If it can wait, why couldn't we stay longer at Magnus's?"

"Because you can't stay out of the Institute for too long." He tells me blankly, however I can feel that he is not being totally honest, but decide to let it slide.

"Okay, see ya then." I tell him, leaving it aside, anxiously turning to go in a opposite direction than him, thinking he's probably got things to do.

"Let me guess, you're going to the greenhouse." He remarks, making me halt.

"You guessed it right. What can I do if it's the best place on this Institute?" I spin on my heels, turning towards him again, smirking.

"Okay, let's go." He tells, walking pass me, now going in the same direction as I was. My jaw almost drop, i wasn't expecting him to want to join me.

"What do you mean 'let's go?'" I start to stride beside him, since he didn't stop to answer my question.

"I mean, I'm joining you." He tries to sound confident but I can fell he's a little nervous with the possibility of me rejecting his company. I can fell my ears getting hot by the thought of him listening to me singing or watching me playing the piano. I would reject his company, because I know i'll get embarrassed, but since I know it's rare for him to want to do something besides Institute's work, there's no way I can deny his request.

"Well, since you asked so nicely, you can join me." I remark sarcastically, and he gives me a simper smile.

»»————-————-««

Alec is sitting beside me on the piano at the greenhouse, he asked me to teach him a song on the instrument, and of course, I was really excited about that. First because it requires no singing, which is a relief, and second because I love to teach people how to play. He actually wanted me to teach one of my favorite pieces, and when I mentioned Claire de Lune by Debussy, he was determined to learn it, even though I told him it's hard for beginners. However, since he was stubborn, I'm teaching him an easier version of it.

I showed him what notes he has to play with his right hand for the first sequence and he's trying to do it now, but the notes are sounding too firm.

"Try pressing your fingers more gently on the keys." I tell him, guiding his fingers the way I said. "Like this. Softer." He nods, focused and trying again by himself. I don't know Alec for long, but I can tell whatever task is given to him, he always want to carry it out perfectly. I admire that, but it can get exhausting.

"Better?" He asks, turning his attention to me after finishing, and I'm once again, lost in his ocean eyes, but I'm able to nod. "Yes, much better." I say, clearing my throat looking at the keyboard. "Try it again, from the beginning."

He does as I say, and I join him with my left hand, playing together. The moment I do he smiles widely, and I can't help but do it as well. After we finish the last note, we can't contain our laughter of joy.

"You did it! You're a quick learner." I compliment him.

"I wouldn't be able to learn quickly if you weren't such a good teacher." He winks playfully, and adds "Besides, I don't know if I want to learn the left hand part, since you can play it with me." He remarks, happily. I blush with his last sentence, but I'm brave enough to say, "Even if you learn it, I still can play with you whenever you want." I tell him.