★ 9. Magic ★

Working in cahoots with Kaian proved to be more dangerous and difficult than I thought it would be

Working in cahoots with Kaian proved to be more dangerous and difficult than I thought it would be. Not only was he invariably surrounded by fellow demons sent by the Demon Lord, but he was also expected to lead them into wiping out human existence of the town. 

And true to his words, Goldwyn has not seen a peaceful night since he and his partner entered this town. Each night, one or more humans are killed off brutally, their blood vessels emptied and their souls sucked, leaving behind a worthless carcass.

It was 'a necessary evil', as Kaian defined it. Since humans were bound to feel blindly attracted to demons, there was no possibility of stopping them from fawning over the 'graceful and generous royals who threw feasts every night.' The spell was so incredibly fervid that nobody found the mysterious disappearances of so many villagers unusual.

It was as if everyone was detached from each other, and couldn't care less about the outside world.

"Zelda, the letter has arrived," Dominic announced as he entered my dimly lit room.

I took a step back from my window and looked at the envelope in his hands, sporting a familiar red seal. I extended my hand and he placed the letter on my palm.

As I was about to break the seal and open the letter, a thought came to my mind all of a sudden. "Dominic, what do you think would be inside this letter?" I asked him.

But he didn't really have any answer. He shrugged and said, "I am not sure about the contents of it. Although, I would like to repeat my words that he must not be trusted so readily."

I sighed and dragged the wooden chair out of the table, it's old wood scraping against the irregular wooden floor. I sat down and broke open the seal. Since I couldn't communicate with Kaian directly, we had been exchanging letters that would keep our conversation private and secret.

But Dominic was against the whole agenda. Not only did he not believe me when I told him about Kaian being a faerie, he also didn't approve of me joining hands with him. Although his concerns were comprehensible, I was no fool. I hadn't joined hands with him for fun. I did it because I'd seen his truth, and knew he was one of the faeries.

"You don't get it. The Demon Lord has hordes of soldiers and he is plotting against the whole world. He has already overpowered half the human population by sending his highest level demons to different parts of the earth. Humans are dying brutal deaths every night and there are only two months left now. Time is ticking by too speedily, and we are still clueless about what to do.

"This isn't just a simple matter of a mistaken greedy demon entering the village and eating people up. They are all working under this formidable leader who I have been searching for since the last ten years. Now that he is so incredibly close to my grasp, I cannot stop. No, I will not stop."

The demons and their Lord were the beginning of my hellish life and I had no plans on being easy on them. They would all meet a devastatingly tragic death by my hands, I would make sure of it.