★ 1. Hunt ★

(Fifteen days later...)

It was the middle of an unusually hot day in Goldwyn. The sun was scorching, threatening to brown the tree leaves six months before autumn. As if my mood wasn't already dampened. I removed my black leather overcoat and held it in my hand. Finally, I felt some relief from the overbearing heat.

Dominic walked ahead of me, his long strides taking him to the tavern before me. This tavern was the only one in town and was also one of the largest buildings there. People of all social classes and rankings visited this place, stayed there for days, ate, drank, and made merry.

Standing tall in the middle of the marketplace, this three-storey building was a round one, with little domed windows and doors lining up on all sides. Ornate colorful curtains hung from the windows, while the doors were painted in cool colors like royal blue and violet. It was the most colorful building in town.

Dominic stopped in front of the huge iron double doors that were guarded by the palace guards. He showed them a green plaque and we were granted entry into the tavern. Square-shaped and with the circular royal seal engraved into it, the deep green plaque was required to enter the place. Since this place was frequented by soldiers, royal courtiers, important foreign guests, and other such individuals, the crown never took its visitors for granted.

Only the rich and influential could enter this place.

As soon as we stepped in, a gust of cool air greeted us. It calmed my irritated nerves and got rid of new sweat beads forming on my forehead. The central cooling system must be working fine, for once. Or maybe, we were expecting someone extremely important and special.

Brushing my fiery red hair back from my eyes, I took the lead over Dominic this time and walked through the narrow walkway to the first opening. Choosing the furthermost table in the middle of the gigantic common area, I silently walked through the sea of curious and disgusted onlookers.

My black leather boots clicked on the opulent white marble flooring, as I walked confidently through a crowd of soldiers, merchants, traders, royals, and courtiers. I was acutely aware of their peering gaze on us, especially me. It had always been the case, but it was kind of difficult to not mind them even after all these years.

I'd just learned to pretend that I didn't see anything. Anyway, the less I mingled with these mortals, the better it was for me.

Dominic followed suit and took a seat across mine on the medium-sized wooden table. The dark brown oak seemed recently polished and varnished, making me further believe someone rather significant was scheduled to appear in town. Whenever outsiders set foot in this small, albeit important town, the owner here went all out.

Why won't she when the Crown was spending so lavishly?

"Looks like we'll be graced with the presence of a new guest any minute now, yeah?" Dominic worded my thoughts, his deep voice low enough to be heard by me only.

I nodded in approval. "Seems like it. Can't say I'm excited, though."

"Me neither," he agreed, then paused before continuing. "We don't usually mind the affairs of the state. But what if this guest turns out to be someone from the dark side? What are you going to do then?"

My eyes that were scanning the halls painted in a blinding white hue, fell upon his visage. Scrunching up my eyebrows, I inquired, "What makes you think so? Why do you speak of a possibility that has never appeared in front of us?"

After stirring me up like that, all this imbecile could do was shrug his shoulders. "I'm not saying it will come true. It's just a thought, a rather unusual thought."