★ 6. Golden ★

(Kaian's pov

(Kaian's pov...)

A resounding crash brought my attention toward her, even though I wasn't the only one.

My new opponent was as formidable as they come, but that was not the most astonishing part. It was the fact that this opponent was a lady – a young girl – to be precise. But I was glad I hadn't let her naive visage fool me. She wasn't like the other hunters I had encountered in the past, and naturally, would pose the greatest obstacle in my grand desires and schemes.

But perchance, she could bring about a positive change, too.

"Getting down will be quite the trouble for you," I remarked with mild amusement, secretly admiring her sharpness and wit. "This is a brilliant type of glass, it's going to hurt."

The overhead chandelier lay at my feet, it's delicate glass pieces shattered into thousands of shards on the marble floor. My opponent was quick to look me in the eye, her only functioning eye twitching with what I recognized as arrant ire.

I could see she was itching to put her hands on me, and it amused me greatly.

I was as powerful as demons came, but she didn't know that still.

"If I were you, I wouldn't have the luxury to fret over trifling details. If I were you, I would run away from me as fast as I could, in an attempt to save my paltry life."

A similar rage ignited in my veins as I listened to her mouth spew venom, and the dagger in my hand twitched to do something worse than sinister to her, but I reined those emotions in.

She was not where I should be aiming my dagger at. At least not in my heart, I knew I did not want to hurt her, but use her. Although I would be wielding her against her approval, all would be okay as long as she wasn't aware of becoming a pawn in my game.

The young huntress jumped past me, high enough that she reached behind me, the part which was relatively cleaner of the shards. I turned towards her, only to see her retrieving a similar dagger from under her dress.

Those black curtains parted to give me an explicit view of her legs, smooth, creamy skin tempting me toward wayward ideas. Hunters were irresistible for me, even when they were doing nothing. I did not need another reason to get executed before I could even accomplish what I wished for.

I smiled coldly. "You came prepared."

"Invariably."

The smile dropped from my face as I approached her in a flash of a second, my giant hand wrapping around her neck as my dagger jabbed at her lungs. But as quickly as I had approached her, she had managed to deflect my jab with her hand.

Swatting my arm away with mighty power, she landed a hefty kick at the back of my leg, which forced me to release her throat with a guttural sound. Twisting around me, I found her standing behind me for better leverage and felt her before she even moved an inch.