★ 2. Resolve ★

I had always wondered what a golden fate meant. While growing up, I had often heard elderly folk talk about having a golden fate - a fate that intrinsically swept away all the thorns lining one's path, and laid out a lavish bridge of delicate, sweet-smelling flowers.

But the irony was that they all told me I had a golden fate. They made me believe my destiny was written with gilded letters so bright they would eclipse the sun and put its dazzling light to shame.

Maybe if those people didn't feed my naïve self such ludicrous sayings, the affliction I endured would have become a tad more sufferable.

These people were the reason I carried agonizing, indelible scars on my body and soul. They made sure I would never be able to escape the so-called golden fate I seemed to have been born with.

And they were the sole reason I prayed every day, and hoped they would all meet the same fate as I did. That destiny would show them absolutely no mercy as it parted them with their bodies and marred their souls for life.

While growing up, my mother had taught me to never resent anyone and to invariably lend a helping hand out to those who didn't have the strength to stand up by themselves. But I was left with no other choice but to ignore her teachings and hurl myself into the ever-ignited fire of revenge and fury that didn't recognize any restraint.

And soon enough I realized, I was never meant to live a quiet, unassuming life with my sweet parents on the side of a beautiful, calm river in a small but resourceful hut.

My entire existence was created and bred to endure the blazing heat of the flames, to bear scars and rise out of these flames yet again, like a Phoenix would. Even if my soul had charred to pieces and left my body long ago, my physical self did not possess the liberty to scarper out of this perdition.

And by now, I was long gone, immersed so deeply into this abyss that I did not wish to crawl out of it.

I didn't even remember what I desired anymore.

"You are admiring the moon again," came a low voice from behind me.

I remained on top of the rugged rock, unmoving. I comprehended the meaning behind his emphasis on the word 'admire', but made no effort to rectify him.

Once, many years ago, Dominic had discovered me sitting on this same rock, gazing at the glowing moon with a forlorn expression, as he had elucidated. He deduced I was missing my now-dead parents, and he was correct.

But in all these years of our friendship that began even before all hell broke loose over me, I could not bring myself to admit the simple fact to him - that I indeed, missed my parents.

"Sit with me and do the same," I simply whispered, afraid my voice would disturb the serene silence enveloping the cold air of night.

I felt him before I saw him, his big, warm, and comforting presence feeling like a stark contrast to the chill in the air. I instantly felt warmer and safer, as I invariably did in his presence. I inhaled his unique scent which was an amalgamation of intense sandalwood and delicate jasmine flowers. It was a rather aberrant fragrance, but it brought me solace, especially after I had endured the vile odor of a demon.

"Even though the moon has reduced in size, it remains the most alluring thing in this world," he remarked, completely evading the obvious reason we were here tonight.

I nodded, taking a swig of my alcohol from the wooden bottle. "I'm sure if Aurora happened to hear you, she would immediately get down to an intense argument."

That made him release an easy chuckle. "Of course, she would. In her eyes, unicorns flying in a starry night sky are a much prettier sight than a stationary little ball of light."

Extending his hand, he wordlessly asked for my bottle of liquor. I took a huge swig and handed it to him. A moment of quiet passed between us before we sighed in unison. Turning to face each other, a reckless laugh escaped our lips as we sat together in comfortable tranquility.

"After you left, I took a good look at the two demons," Dominic stated. "They seemed to have already beguiled everyone in the room."

I froze after hearing his words, my thoughts mindlessly wandering to the mysterious man I had seen in the tavern yesterday. His unruly raven locks flowed in the slight wind, and his intense silvery eyes that had arrested me instantly.

It was a wonder I had perfectly remembered every little detail of his as if I had met him eons ago. The huge size, the stiff stance, and that muscular body which failed to hide behind those regal robes - his mere presence had been so incredibly intimidating, that I, for once, hoped I would never meet him again.

Even if he was a demon, eliminating him was my first and foremost duty.

I finally replied, "Of course, they have. It's how they function, after all."

"What are we going to do about them? You already know alarming the people of the village will not be useful. They will never listen to outcasts like us," Dominic voiced his concerns, while I stared straight ahead of me.

His words were veracious. We both were outcasts in this village. From the time we entered this small place, everyone seemed to dislike us. Maybe it was the sword on my waist, the scar running down my cheek, or my botched eye that spooked everyone.

The truth was that nobody liked to get involved with us.

"Talking to them would be of no use anyway. You know once humans smell the irresistible scent of demons, they cannot stay away. It won't be long before we hear the news of humans dying in this village again.

The only way we can stop that is to go after the demons."

My words lingered in the chilly air, making the atmosphere colder. The reality of the situation settled heavily on my shoulders as I voiced my responsibilities. The man I was so smitten by, was no ordinary human. He was not the one I could fantasize about and dream of a happy ever after.

The concept of a happy-ever-after was foreign to me, to begin with, but it turned more and more ludicrous, the more I thought of him as the other half of it.

Shaking my head, I turned to face Dominic, who looked at me with a perplexed expression.

"We will have to start following their every step and action soon, that is the only way we can stop them," I spoke with much more authority than before, rightfully claiming my position as a Huntress back.

I shouldn't expect something, anything, from a man I am destined to kill.

♠︎♠︎♠︎

(Word count - 1180 words)

A little sneak peek into Zelda and Dominic's friendship, and a glimpse into Zelda's past!

What do you think happened to Zelda's parents? What is this darkness she talks about?

Tell me your theories in the comments below!!

Until next time... ❤️