eighteen

+i usually hate these at the beginning but i've not updated in ages and i feel really bad but i've been so busy this past week. i'll be updating every other day now as usual!

"No," Caspar began, "no, no, no, no!"

"I know what you're going to say..."

"THIS IS A BAD IDEA, JOE! We can't just storm down to Brighton and confront him, Zoe's there!"

"Nope," Joe replied, popping the 'p', "She's staying with Louise for a few days."

When Caspar looked, Joe didn't seem phased or angry or like a man who was ready to confront another (much taller) man. The thought crossed his mind that Joe might, in fact, be insane.

"You do remember which one Alfie is? Because if you did you'd realise he's a giant and you're a fucking elf and confronting him isn't a good idea!" People were looking now. But Caspar was used to it. Being a 6" foot-something South African living in England coming from a family that doesn't know the words 'public voice' usually draws a lot of attention to him, as hard to believe as it may sound.

Joe minded, as he hurriedly hushed Caspar, "there might be viewers about, idiot. And I don't care what happens to me, I need to teach that cheating bastard a lesson."

Caspar had to take a few steps back, gesturing with his facial expression and arms wildly, "you're insane! You're actually fucking insane! What do you mean he has to be 'taught a lesson'?! You're not going to kill him! Tell me; what's the plan, Joe? So we get on this train and we go down to Brighton. What are we going to do when we get to the front door? Kill Nala? Oh my god! That's what you're going to do, isn't it? You're going to kill Nala!"

Caspar rambled on for another good minute or so, Joe standing by watching. It unnerved Caspar how placid he'd kept his face; his lips curved in a slight smirk that didn't meet his dead-looking eyes. Behind all of that Caspar knew he wasn't taking in the information. Beneath the surface; Joe was probably boiling and it was about to break free.

"You're freaking out in the middle of the train station. You need to save some of the anger for later." Was the only comment the older boy made.

"I... ugh!" Caspar let out a beyond-frustrated groan, grabbing a hold of the ends of his hair and tugging, "why didn't you talk this through with me? Then we would've had a plan!"

"I do have a plan. If I told you you'd screw it up."

"All passengers to Brighton Station from London Victoria to Platform Twelve."

"That's us!" Joe replied, almost excitedly.

He sped off towards the train, almost disappearing in the crowds of people rushing past. He looked even smaller from behind, so small Caspar (reluctantly) realised he couldn't let him go alone.

With a heavy sigh and a "for fucks sake, Joe!", Caspar boarded the train.

Joe was excited. Truly. He was excited to teach Alfie a lesson, as he'd told Caspar. He wasn't going to kill Alan (he wouldn't admit it to anyone but that pug had grown on him), and he probably wasn't going to kill Alfie, either. He just wanted to make sure Alfie knew Joe was onto him, and what better way than to do it in person? One thing Joe knew about Alfie was he shrunk under confrontation despite being, well, huge.

"Are you insane?" Caspar asked, somewhere distant, "I mean, do you actually think you're losing your mind?"

"Depends which way you mean. Emotionally, yeah. But not right now," Joe replied, in the most honest way he could think of.

Caspar pressed his lips together and continued to watch the world blur past them as the train sped up.

"You hate confrontation and arguing."

"So does Alfie. So I'll have the advantage. A phone call wouldn't be as threatening."

"Did you double-check Zoe's at Louise's?"

"I texted her before. She's there until tomorrow night."

Caspar nodded and didn't reply. For the rest of the journey, they rode in silence. It gave Joe a lot of time to think about what he was going to do, but also how nervous the thought of doing anything made him. As they neared the place he was sure after this he'd never want to visit again, Joe's heart pounded more and more.

"You're regretting this!" Caspar sang. Underneath, he was grateful Joe was doing it for him. He was lucky he had a friend(?) who cared about him. Growing up, Caspar didn't really have any friends. But as soon as he began doing YouTube, people started to show an interest in him. His worst fear would be the internet finding out, and then Caspar would be the one who would have to leave YouTube because he broke up Zalfie. Thinking back to his ex-girlfriend Gabby, she was under the same kind of pressure for 'breaking up' Jaspar. Later on in their relationship Gabby wanted him to move out and in with her. That was when the... well. Caspar couldn't make himself think about that yet.

The taxi from the train station was late. And as per usual in Brighton it was raining. And crowded. Why would so many people want to come in this weather?

They hid themselves away in a café waiting for the taxi to arrive, still in silence. Joe's expression had changed. From smug and excited, his eyes had darkened and his smirk turned upside-down. He was seething. His knee kept hitting the table as it bounced, and he absent-mindedly drummed the edge of it with his fingers. Oh yeah, he was seething all right.

"Joe, can we just go back to London?" Caspar was at the begging stage.

"We've got this far. I'm not going back. I'm finishing this. All of it. Finishing this shit with the phone calls, with him fucking about my sister, fucking you, all of it. And do you want to know why I'm doing it, Caspar?" His tone of voice was low, almost a growl.

"Why?" Caspar nearly whimpered

"For us."