SIX. the five yard line

WALLY CLARK died right on the five yard line in 1984

WALLY CLARK died right on the five yard line in 1984. And he laid there for only a few seconds until someone had realized he wasn't getting up. That he wasn't moving. That something was wrong.

And Michelle was there to see it all, they all were and it was probably thing that had traumatized her right after her own death.

THE PAST.

Michelle had died almost a year ago when this homecoming game came peering its head around and Wally wasn't in the best of moods or places to even play that night.

He didn't really like the sport. He didn't care for it when Michelle was around and didn't care for it now, maybe even more so. And yet, he was getting ready for one of the biggest games of the year because it was something his mother wanted him to do.

She would almost guilt him in ways. Saying that Michelle would've wanted him to succeed and that Michelle would've wanted him to go to college. That this sport was easy access to college because he was the best.

And that guilt shit worked because Wally would take his ass to every game.

It was two hours before the game would actually begin and he grabbed his bag from the floor, his keys, and left his house.

He sat in his car for a moment as he rested his head against the stirring wheel. He didn't want to go game, he didn't want to play, and he sure as hell didn't want to pick Jennifer up from her house so she could get practice in for the cheerleading part of the game.

And only reason he did so was because that girl was Michelle's best friend. He was only being kind. Michelle was the common ground that the two of them shared and it was the only reason he spoke to the girl now.

And though Michelle had been gone for almost a year, Jennifer didn't seem to be as upset as most. The only time Wally even spoke to Jennifer was when she needed rides to games or if he wanted to reminisce. He asked her if she needed anything, any help at all... and that was something Jennifer didn't want to do.