The Fourth of October

Genre(s):

Comedy/ Fluff/Friendship

~

The Cast:

Arianna

Janice (mentioned)

Ruby

~

The Description:

Just an ordinary day in the month of October... Not for Ruby, though.

~

The Story:

Arianna and Ruby were walking down a street. Following their respective shifts at work, they agreed to eat out at a Thai restaurant that had just opened recently. Fortunately, the eatery was not too far away from their house; just a ten-minute walk. Since it was cool that night, they decided to get a bit of exercise instead of taking the jeep. 

Arianna was listening to Ruby, who was rambling about the annoyances of dealing with rebellious students in class. But she was distracted upon spotting a coffee shop that she had not seen before. This community really likes to tempt me with their new eateries...

Ruby noticed that Arianna was staring at the café and shook her head. "Do not even think about it."

Arianna looked at Ruby and sighed. "What I would do for a cup of mocha coffee."

Ruby pursed her lips. "Ianna, you know what happens when you drink coffee, right?"

"I get palpitations," Arianna answered simply.

"Yeah," Ruby replied slowly. "You do not want to experience that again, do you?"

Arianna huffed but did not say anything.

"Is not work stressful enough? Drinking coffee can only add up to your stress."

Arianna sighed. "I know, I know. It is not like I can drink any even if I wanted to, anyway. Jan told me to stop with the cold drinks."

Ruby emitted a chuckle. "Of course. You only listen to Janice."

"She can be really scary when she gets angry, okay?" Arianna replied defensively, earning another chuckle from Ruby.

"Whatever you say. You do not have to deny it, though. You tend to listen to her more than you do to the rest of us," Ruby remarked teasingly.

Arianna rolled her eyes before she muttered something under her breath.

Ruby leaned in closer to her. "I'm sorry, what was that?"

Arianna shook her head and smiled without looking at Ruby. "Wala po, Riri."

Ruby contorted her face into an incredulous look and let out a delightful laugh. "Hala, nagtatagalog na siya!"

Arianna raised an eyebrow. "I only said two words."

Ruby laughed again. "Kahit pa! It's the first time I've ever heard you speak Tagalog!" She sighed happily. "The fourth of October. I shall cherish this date forever."

Arianna chuckled and stared at her friend oddly. "OA naman nito."

Hearing Arianna utter another phrase in Tagalog was too much for Ruby. She emitted a squeal so loud that Arianna had to cover her ear and duck away slightly.

"'OA naman nito,'" she repeated Arianna's statement while imitating her American twang. Then she clapped her hands and roared with laughter as if she had just witnessed the funniest thing ever. "Ang cute mag-Tagalog!"

Arianna rolled her eyes playfully and suppressed a smile. Tugging on Ruby's hand, she quickened her pace. "Quit horsing around and walk faster. It's getting dark."

On their way home, the two women argued about who would get to pick the movie that night.

And as usual, Ruby won.