A Cold Yet Fuzzy Night

Genre(s):

Comedy/ Fluff/Friendship

~

The Cast:

Arianna

Gail

Janice

Jenie

Kara

Queen

Ruby

~

The Description:

On a stormy night, Janice discovers that Kara has a pathological fear. 

~

The Story:

A thunderstorm had just emerged in the areas of Metro Manila one Friday night.

Given that tomorrow was a Saturday, Arianna and Jenie decided to spend their evening playing Mobile Legends. Jenie had no work on the weekends; while Arianna had already finished writing the articles that she was entrusted with. They were both lying on the couch, giggling and making occasional remarks to each other as they engaged in one Classic game after another.

"Ang galing mo mag-hook, unnie," Arianna remarked in wonder.

"Nah, chamba lang iyon," Jenie replied with a grin.

Arianna let out a playful scoff. "Pa humble ka pa."

Gail, Queen, and Ruby, on the other hand, were watching movies. Since Queen's room was the biggest, they decided to have the marathon there. They were arguing over who would get to pick the next movie.

Or should we say, Gail and Ruby were arguing.

"You already picked the previous movie!" Gail remarked.

"Well, you already picked the first one!" Ruby retorted.

"And now that you and Queen had your turn, it's my turn again," Gail said.

Queen sat between Gail and Ruby on the couch. She was watching them with a dazed expression. Though she did not say anything as she did not want add any more fuel to their fire.

Ruby sighed. "Fine. Just make sure it's not another chick flick."

Gail smiled triumphantly.

Meanwhile, Janice and Kara were in the bedroom that they shared. 

Kara was lying on her bed, tossing and turning. Janice did not notice Kara's strange behavior, since she was too immersed in the novel that she was working on.

All right, so Sato goes to a café where she works on her report... But then there she ends up bumping into Lars, her past lover who happens to be married now... Tapos? Teka lang... Lars? Anong klaseng pangalan iyan?

 "Ate Jan?"

Janice's mind shifted back to reality at the sound of Kara's voice, and she suddenly wanted to yell. She always hated being spoken to while she was writing.

Concealing her irritation, Janice looked over at Kara, whose eyes were glistening. Has she been crying?

"Yes, Kara?" Janice asked  gently, the feeling of annoyance fading as she took in Kara's features.

"May you sleep next to me?" 

The vexation was back. Can she not see that I am working on something?

Janice glared at Kara, who pouted in response.

"Please."

As much as she hated it, Janice's heart softened immediately when Kara pouted.

It puzzled Janice that Kara suddenly made this request. As far as she knew, Kara preferred to sleep alone. Then the realization struck Janice like a lightning bolt as another loud crack of thunder resonated throughout the vicinity.

Is Kara afraid of thunderstorms?

Janice sighed upon learning this bit of information. Although she did not like to give in to others' requests so often, she had a soft spot for Kara. Knowing that Kara possibly had some pathological fear that was taking place at that moment left her with no choice.

"All right," Janice whispered.

Janice placed her laptop on the desk in the corner of the room. Then she made her way to the younger girl's bed. Kara scooted to the side to make room for Janice, who laid down next to her. Before Janice could make herself more comfortable, Kara laid her head on her chest and wrapped an arm around her stomach.

Janice rolled her eyes at this. But it did not take a while before she found herself wrapping an arm around Kara's trembling figure, pulling her closer. Seconds later, she felt Kara's body quit shaking. Shortly afterwards, the sound of her erratic breathing came to an end.

"Thank you for sleeping here with me, ate Jan," Kara said softly.

Without opening her eyes, Janice replied, "Don't get used to it. Night."

Kara smiled. "Good night."

Both quickly fell into a deep slumber, warmed by the blanket and each other's bodies.