20: fights

After finishing their second movie, Sierra called it a night, and after the third, Kaykay left. Luke watched as she hesitated by the door, maybe expecting more than a shouted goodbye from Calum, but the brunette stayed preoccupied putting away leftovers in the kitchen. Luke caught her eye, flashing her a sympathetic smile as her shoulders dropped. Ashton said he would walk her down to her car, both disappearing into the hallway. Luke had just returned to the living room when he heard the creaking of the front door open.

He backpedaled, first peering in the now empty kitchen and then noticing the wide open door. He would have been concerned if he hadn't peeked out to see Calum, Ashton and Kaykay cuddled up against the nearest wall. They were talking quietly, Ashton and Kaykay's hands intertwined and Calum's gently grazing down her arm.

Luke liked seeing Calum like this. Calm, happy. The smile on his face was easy, natural in a way he often tried to mask, dimples on full display and as he leaned in for a kiss, hand intimately wrapped in Kaykay's hair, Luke turned away and returned to the living room.

"Hey," Michael murmured as he pressed a kiss to Luke's shoulder. "I better get going as well."

"What? Already?" Luke pouted, squeezing Michael's hand that always seemed to find its way around his waist.

"Yeah, got that early meeting tomorrow, so I'm staying at Ash's. But he said he'd drive me back after and we can go get you that new phone tomorrow, okay?"

Luke hummed in agreement, leaning into Michael as the older boy pressed a kiss to his temple. Michael had finally talked him into getting a new phone with a new number. Even if there was no way for Liam to contact him anymore, Luke didn't want to take any chances. A new phone for a new start. It would be like a cleansing of sorts.

"Have fun with Calum, yeah?" Michael smiled, and Luke had seen him smile enough times by now to know that it wasn't totally real. He wanted to press the issue, but just then Ashton and Calum walked back in the door.

Luke instead pressed a kiss to Michael's cheek. "Yeah, we will."

"About ready there, Mike?" Ashton asked, clapping Michael's shoulder as he passed on his way into the kitchen. Luke chanced a glance to where Calum had returned to the sink, watching as Ashton stood beside him, shoulder to shoulder.

They looked so casual, so comfortable standing together doing something as domestic as dishes. Calum handed the wet plate to Ashton who grabbed the nearest rag and worked to dry it. Luke's stomach fluttered for his best friend, finally seeing him with his guard down around someone other than himself.

He watched as they finished the last dish, talking quietly amongst themselves. Ashton leaned over, pressing a cautious kiss to the side of Calum's head and began to walk away. Luke looked away as Calum reached back, grabbing Ashton's arm and pressing him back into the sink. He chanced another glance back to watch the two, embraced in a rushed, needy kiss.

"Are they making out in there yet?" Michael joked and Luke's cheeks reddened.

"Yeah, actually I think they are." Luke whispered softly as he guided Michael back into the living room. "Why don't we give them a moment?"

They sat on the couch, Luke's feet in Michael's lap as he pressed his thumbs into the arch of Luke's feet.

"Mmm, that feels good." Luke moaned, stretching his toes and settling back into the couch. Michael tickled his feet and Luke squealed.

"So, did you enjoy yourself tonight?" Michael asked as he pressed his thumbs into the balls of Luke's feet.

"Yeah, I really did," Luke sighed, "for the first time this place actually felt like home and not just some escape. I loved having everyone over, should do it more often."