15: family

MICHAEL

Michael's leg was bouncing up and down nervously, his foot tapping a random rhythm onto the floor of the car. He was so deep into his thoughts that he didn't notice when Luke placed a hand over his shaking knee, causing him to jump.

"Are you okay?" Luke asked quietly, his voice just slightly above a whisper but not loud enough for Liz to hear from where she sat in the driver's seat. They'd been in the car for nearly 40 minutes already, and Michael knew it was just a matter of time before they arrived at the Hemmings house. It wasn't that he wasn't looking forward to meeting Luke's family, quite the opposite actually. But he couldn't help it. This was so far out of Michael's comfort zone, so far out of his element that he actually worried

He smiled, hoping Luke couldn't see the nerves reflected in his expression. He squeezed Luke's hand where it lay on his knee, slotting his fingers between Luke's to interlock them.

"I'm fine, it's just been a while since I've met, well, anyone new. Been anywhere new." He forced out a laugh, but to be completely honest, Michael was petrified. He spent 99% of his time with either Ashton, Sierra, his parents, his publicist or his editor. He could count on one hand the number of new people and new places he'd met in the last year, and most of that list consisted of Calum, Luke, and the hospital. It wasn't that Michael was afraid of meeting new people, he'd just become so accustomed to his life as is that the idea of swaying away from the norm was a bit daunting.

And while he felt like he might shake out of his skin at any moment, he forced himself to keep it together for Luke.

It had been a fight to convince Luke to stay with his foster parents until he recovered, but it was a fight Michael wouldn't back down from. He never felt as weak post accident as he did by admitting he wasn't equipped to care for Luke, but it was the truth. If the boy fell or split open his sutures or - worst come to worst - had another seizure, Michael was in no position to take care of him. He didn't even know where Luke's kitchen was and wouldn't even be able to do something as trivial as get him a glass of water, for god's sake. The realization stung, but he knew this was the best decision for Luke. And if that meant forcing Ashton to drive him out to the Western suburbs every damn day just to see the blonde boy, then so be it.

So there he sat, trembling in his seat as Liz pulled to a stop in what Michael presumed to be the Hemmings driveway.

"Hey Ma, can we get a minute?" Luke's voice was quiet, soothing as he brought their intertwined hands to his lips and pressed a gentle kiss to the back of Michael's hand.

"Of course, sweetheart," Liz's voice was closer to Michael than Luke and he heard the engine shut off and her seatbelt click open. "I'll grab the bags and make sure the kids don't trample you the moment you walk in the door," She chuckled, door shutting gently with a click behind her and when Michael heard the trunk open and close a minute later, he knew they were alone.

Luke let the silence wash over them for a minute longer before he spoke again. "You're sure you're okay with this? It might be a little... overwhelming. It's not too late to change your mind."

Michael felt the warmth of affection wash over him at the tenderness and concern in Luke's voice. While he could feel Luke's own anxiety seeping from him in the form of waves of taught muscles and tense posture, he hid it well, his concern for Michael's well being overshadowing his own worries. It was just another thing about Luke that Michael felt so endearing. He was so clearly the type to put everyone else's problems before his own, even at the expense of his own well being.

Michael swallowed down his anxieties, knowing his tenseness would just add even more stress to an already overwhelmed Luke. Instead, he squeezed Luke's hand back, pressing a tender kiss to the back of the blonde's soft skin.