10: emergency

Trigger Warning: 

Conversations surrounding domestic abuse / physical assault & battery in the next couple of chapters 

MICHAEL

They walked down the road to their favorite pizzeria, Ashton asking at least three times along the way if Michael wanted to talk about it. He stood firm in his answer of 'no, I don't want to talk, Ashton.' and Ashton finally relented after asking twice more when they ordered their usual large Hawaiian pizza. They ate in silence, the occasional comment from Ashton of, "you deserve better, Mike. You'll find someone who actually cares, I promise. I'm sorry." was met with scoffs and Michael stuffing more pizza in his mouth to avoid having to answer. 

He knew Ashton was only trying to make him feel better, but Michael had always preferred ignoring his feelings until they went away. Not the healthiest coping mechanism, but it hadn't failed him yet. Talking about it would only make Michael cry, and the last thing he wanted to do was give so much power to a relationship that never even existed in the first place. Michael might have been naive but he refused to be pathetic, too.

They were done with the pizza before the sun even fully set, and Ashton insisted Michael come back to his place for video games. They'd been one of his favorite pastimes before the accident, and with Ashton's assistance, he still enjoyed playing from time to time. Even though Ashton hated them, he still kept a small collection for Michael, knowing it had always been a calming activity for his friend. Something about the weight of the controller in his hands made him feel safe and in control, allowing him to relax and shut his brain off for a change. And that's why even though he knew Ashton thought of video games as a stupid waste of time, he sat diligently next to his friend and talked him through the game, helping to navigate Michael's character and time out his attacks and defenses.

The games had their desired effect, and all thoughts of his cherub neighbor drifted to the back of his mind, if even for a few hours. The throb of embarrassment and anger in his gut when he thought of Luke turned to a dull ache as he focused all of his attention on the game. He knew the pain would come back later, but for now he was content ignoring it and enjoying the impromptu time with his best friend.

Everything was going fine until Michael wanted to head home and Ashton insisted that he stay over at his place. Usually Michael would agree, but he hadn't planned to stay over, and his anxiety meds were at his apartment. After the day he had, he would definitely need them in the morning. Then Ashton offered to go get them for Michael, but honestly Michael didn't see the point.

"Ash, really it's fine, there's no reason for us to drive to my place just to turn around and go back to yours. Plus, I'd rather sleep in my own bed anyway."

Ashton finally relented, realizing there was no way he was going to win this argument. "Fine, but I'm coming with you."

"C'mon Ash, it's not like someone died. I'll be fine, I promise."

"Yeah, but still." Ashton persisted as they made their way out of his building and to the awaiting Uber. "I'd feel better if you let me stay with you."

"Okay fine, but I don't see what the big deal is. I was stood up. I'll get over it."

Ashton sighed as they got in the Uber, and Michael really didn't get why it was such a big deal. Sure, his heart was broken and he was embarrassed beyond belief, but Michael was used to being alone. As hurt as he was, he should have known better than to fall for the boy next door. He'd let his walls down, the walls that had always protected him and kept him safe, and he was paying the price. He really thought Luke had been different. But after two unanswered calls and four texts sent, Michael got the message loud and clear.