07: past

Luke

By 7 am on Friday Luke knew it just wasn't going to be his day. Not only did his alarm fail to go off on time, but then the hot water went out and left him with stringy, conditioner-soaked hair. Luke cursed as he tried to pull it back into a semi-presentable bun, but it wasn't any use. No matter how he styled it, he looked like he dipped his head in a vat of grease.

"I can't win, can I?" Luke groaned as he turned on the sink and stuck his head under the cold water. He knew it would make him late for work, but he didn't have much of a choice. After managing to tame his hair, he realized he was five minutes late for the train and would have to run to make it on time. Luke rushed around his apartment, gathering up his wallet, shoes and backpack. He fumbled his phone as it began to ring, and it fell to the ground with a loud thud.

"Can't catch a fucking break." He groaned, picking it up to see a few small scratches in the corner. Luke didn't have time to dwell on it though. He was now running 10 minutes behind. He barreled out the door and took the steps two at a time.

Luke's phone began to ring again, and he flipped it open without a second thought.

"Hello?" Luke hopped along on one foot as he attempted to tie his shoe.

"Hi, Love."

Luke's blood ran cold and he wished he'd checked the caller I.D. He ended the call with shaky fingers. Before he could even return his phone to his pocket, it rang again. Against his better judgment, he answered.

"Liam, Stop calling me-"

"Tsk, tsk, Sweetheart. It's rude to hang up on your boyfriend, don't you know that?" He could hear the smirk in Liam's voice, and he clenched his jaw.

"You're not my boyfriend." Luke was proud that his voice didn't waiver.

"You know I always loved when you played hard to get."

Luke bit at his thumbnail as he sped walked down the street, eyes scanning the street around him. He didn't think his day could get any worse than it already was, but he stood corrected as the voice on the other end laughed.

"Fuck you." He hung up before Liam could respond and turned his phone off. The beginnings of a headache pulled at Luke's temples, and he wanted to scream. It was barely 8am and he already wanted to give up. He knew Calum was right; he should have changed his number long ago but getting a new phone cost money. Money that Luke couldn't afford to part with right now.

Calum had already blocked Liam's number on Luke's phone, but it didn't stop Liam from finding ways around it. Luke was about at his wits end. He knew he'd have to tell Calum about this. He hated burdening his best friend with his troubles, no matter how many times Calum told him it wasn't one. Luke was an adult for god's sakes, he should be able to fight his own battles. He knew when it came to Liam, however, he would always lose the war.

All Luke could hope for was that Liam would keep his distance.

By the time Luke arrived at the spa, he was running nearly 15 minutes behind and was visibly shaking. Between the late start to the day and the phone call, Luke was a mess. He felt like a house of cards one gust of wind away from toppling over.

"Good morning, Sweets." Lauraline's smile morphed to concern as she took in Luke's distress. "What's got you worked up so early?"

"Just not my day, I guess. Sorry I'm late, Ma." Luke threw himself down in his chair. His backpack slumped to the floor and he kicked it under the desk. He could feel the tears welling up in his eyes and he forced them away with a shaky breath.

"Oh sweets," She sighed, taking a seat on the edge of his desk and running her fingers through his damp hair. "You gonna be alright today?" He knew she could feel the way his muscles shook under her hand. He could just imagine the look she was giving him.