Fourteen

After Jago's departure, Nathan was weary; Aiden could see that in his sluggish movements and small nods.

The three boys had spent all afternoon outside in the sun.

The pink-haired boy chatted with the oldest most of the time, allowing Nathan to listen and nod or shake his head whenever he felt strong enough.

But mostly, he drifted in and out of consciousness, his head resting on Aiden's shoulder as he listened to his body's demands. Nathan felt bad for not taking part much in the conversation, especially as Jago had prepared food for them.

He always kept extra portions from the restaurant, boxed them, and either took them home or gave them to Matt's family.

It was his way of supporting the white-haired boy and the families caring for him. Having an extra person in the house was a big financial responsibility, so handing out food that would usually go to waste was helpful.

Jago didn't mind if Nathan was too tired to acknowledge their conversation. He'd seen the younger boy through many agonising flare-ups.

The green-eyed boy had collected him from school several times before when Matt's parents weren't available. He'd practically carried the white-haired boy from the car to his sofa countless times. And then, Jago had spent days nursing him back to health.

He knew the best way for Nathan to recover was to sleep whenever he needed. It was also the reason he was so protective of his friend.

When he slept, he slept so heavily that often he wouldn't wake for nearly a whole day. When Nathan slept, he was vulnerable. More so than usual, and Jago hated the idea of someone taking advantage.

The two boys who could converse chatted about whatever took their fancy; they discussed the antics in the swimming pool, Aiden's schooling and Jago's restaurant.

There was nothing intense about the conversation, which the pink-haired boy enjoyed.

Jago was always easy to talk to, despite being older and spending less time with him than the others. He was always laughing, always joking, and acting like a fool. It made getting to know him easier.

Aiden grinned, thinking about how Jago handed over a bag of belongings for Nathan.

He knew the white-haired boy wouldn't leave anytime soon, and like a dedicated father figure, he packed clothes, a spare notepad, pens, a toothbrush and whatever else he could think of.

The pink-haired boy shouldered the bag easily as he guided Nathan up the stairs, back to hide in the bedroom. He could manage, but was slow and unsteady, his worn-out body struggling to respond.

The older boy slept for another hour, giving Aiden time to complete more homework. When the older boy woke again, they ate and settled on the bed to watch a movie.

For a little while, it was blissful.

Both boys sat upright. It was the first time they'd been alone together since the coffee shop, and they were both a little hesitant.

Nathan had never been in this position before, sitting with someone who openly knew he had feelings towards him. And the last time Aiden made a move on someone, it backfired catastrophically.

So both boys could feel their hearts beating just a little faster, the anticipation sending ripples through the air. But at some point, despite the giddy nerves, the pink-haired boy slid his tiny hand into the other boys, weaving their fingers together.

The white-haired boy didn't look; he stared at the TV, feeling a little self-conscious. He was inexperienced with all this and didn't know how to react.