Five

Aiden grinned all the way home, finding it impossible to wipe the giddy smile off his face, even as Evan and Reid eyeballed him.

He was not the same boy who walked into the shopping centre behind them that morning. The one who trailed behind and said nothing. He was not the same withdrawn person who had arrived from Croydon.

The pink-haired boy was beaming, and it was contagious.

When Jasper finished his shoe shopping that morning and the boys reconvened outside the store, they realised two group members were absent. They always worried if Nathan went missing, if something happened to him, like if he felt unwell or got injured, he could not communicate with anyone.

Matt became the authoritative father and called Nathan. Usually, he would have sent a message seeing as the boy could not answer a call, but if he was with Aiden, he could hand the phone over. If he were alone, he would send a text in reply.

When the newbie answered Nathan's phone, he sounded happy and excitable. It was odd because Aiden had seemed sullen so far. He laughed at their jokes and answered their questions, but something seemed off with him. He guarded himself and avoided initiating conversation.

When the boy said where they were, Matt knew where to go and led the group to the bookstore come coffee shop he and the white-haired boy spent a lot of time in.

The group arrived to find the two teens hysterical with laughter. The younger boy laughed so much that he folded in on himself, his head pressing against the older boy's arm, who accepted the touch, which was strange because he hated that. An arm over the shoulder was okay; a pat on the back was acceptable, but laying all over him?

Never.

It had been years since Matt saw Nathan like that. So light and cheerful. Laughing so loudly with the new member that people were looking over disapprovingly.

When the shopping trip ended and the boys were ready to part ways, the pair separated, still carrying signs of joy.

They would meet again tomorrow, outside of school, for Aiden's first day.

Knowing people would be waiting for him, guiding him around, and protecting him made him feel better about starting school again. He didn't feel as anxious about what might happen, what things may repeat themselves.

He knew the entire experience would be challenging until his mind allowed him to relax and didn't freak out constantly, but it would be easier with the boys around.

Walking side-by-side with Reid and Evan, the pink-haired boy was engrossed in their conversation for the first time since arriving. He didn't trail behind in silence or wait to be spoken to; instead, he asked questions; he listened and digested the information. He walked with his head up instead of down.

Aiden smiled instead of frowning.

He felt good. For the first time in a long time, he felt good.

Despite a rocky start to the day, everything was well, and he was enjoying spending time with people, socialising and hanging out. Rare and novel, Aiden loved every second of his time with his new friends despite feeling frightened and worried.

He then spent all evening with his parents, watching the TV whilst curled up on his mother's lap. They didn't do that often anymore.

When things started getting bad, he became too self-conscious and paranoid to curl up next to his parents in case his mother's gentle hands stroked a tender bruise or startled him into a violent flashback.

His sudden action of plopping onto the sofa by her side, tucking his feet up, and placing his head on her legs caught her off guard, as he had rejected any affection for so long.