Chapter 12 - Think Again

Zayn’s P.O.V.

            It was Tuesday. And let me just say that I felt sick. But, it wasn’t because I was sneezing or coughing. It was because of what I had witnessed the day before. Niall’s step-dad…and Thomas…that wasn’t right. They weren’t as good as they came off to be. They were hurting my baby. My angel.

            And it hurt me. It physically pained me, knowing that Niall was being hurt and destroyed by the people who should love him the most. The worst part about it was that his mum had no idea. Either she was just too blind to notice, or Niall did a damn good job of keeping it a secret. I assumed the latter. Niall seemed to have more secrets than he lead on in the first place. He was even mysterious so some degree.

            “Zayn,” Louis said weakly, “You don’t look too good mate,”         

            And he was right. I looked like shit. I hadn’t slept. Not when I knew my poor little Nialler was in a house with his monsters.

            “Are you going to be sick? Should I take you to the nurse?” He asked, gently. I shook my head no, knowing that I had to make it to the courtyard to see Niall. I just needed to make sure that he was okay.

            “No,” I said, turning and rushing through the hall towards the courtyard, “I’ll talk to you later, Louis!” I called back. He sighed and continued on his way without me.

            When I arrived in the courtyard, Niall was already there, sitting on one of the benches, his hands fiddling with a leather bracelet and his head cast downward, making it impossible to see his beautiful eyes. I walked quickly towards him, only slowing when he noticed me and panicked.

            “It’s just me,” I said. He relaxed, but still sat on edge—which was weird. I thought he was becoming more comfortable around me.

            “Zayn,” He whispered.

            “Yes, angel?” I asked.

            “I need to know something,” Niall said, casting his head even further down. I sat on the bench next to him, grabbing his chin with my index finger and pulling his head up so our eyes would meet.

            “Of course,” I whispered, leaning in a bit so our faces were close, “Anything, love.”

            Niall’s breath hitched nervously, and he pulled away from me again, sending a painful ache through my body. Had I done something wrong?

            “Are you…” He seemed to struggle finding his words, “Are you….uh…gay?”
            I chuckled lightheartedly. That’s what he was nervous about? I thought most of the kids in school knew I was gay now. “Yes, angel,”

            He finally looked up to me on his own accord, letting his icy blue eyes trace over my features, before he let a small smile find its way onto his face. Then he reached one of his arms forward, letting his fingertips trail over my lips, like I had grown accustomed to him doing. Some people may find this strange, but I didn’t. Niall just needed to know I was safe. He could do anything around me, and I wouldn’t hurt him, no matter what. It was a thing of trust. Niall’s hands slid down my jaw and planted at the base of my neck, pulling and tugging on the small hairs there, making me suppress a moan. What was he doing? This wasn’t normal Niall behavior—not that I was complaining.

            “Niall?” I asked softly. Our faces were a lot closer than I remembered them.

            “Can I do something?” He asked, his voice so uncertain and frightened that it wavered slightly and shook.