Chapter 2 - He Is One Of Them

Niall's P.O.V.

They were everywhere. I couldn't get away from them. Every way I turned, they were there. Following me, hurting me, destroying me bit by bit. The monsters were relentless.

Today at school a monster talked to me. He said his name was Zayn, but it was so hard to trust him, to believe that he was actually human. Zayn asked far too many questions, and kept getting closer to me, like he was about to hurt me. I ran away before he got the chance. But I couldn't make up my mind. Was he a monster? Or was he a normal person, honestly trying to be nice to me? To talk to me and finally be my friend?

The final bell of school rang, and I walked briskly to my locker, grabbing my coat and backpack. As soon as I was done, I took off out of the school building. Nowhere was safe. I looked at the large yellow buses, watching the kids board them. I had never taken the bus before, I was always too afraid. Plus, the buses would take me straight home, and I didn't want to go home unless I absolutely had to.

"Niall!" A voice called to me, over the low murmur of kids talking. I flinched, clenching my eyes shut and wrapping my arms around myself, bracing my body for whatever the monster had in store for me. My feet were glued to the ground, holding me in place as best as possible. "Hey, Niall, it's okay," The voice soothed. I couldn't see who was talking, or how close they were, but my heart was beating really hard, about to jump out of my chest and I had to hold back tears. I didn't want to get hurt. I wanted the monsters to just go away and leave me alone. What had I ever done? What did I do to deserve this?

"I told you earlier," The voice said, "I'm not going to hurt you, I never will..."

It must have been Zayn.

My eyes slowly slid open, and in fact, it was Zayn. The more I saw him, the more I was convinced that he was a monster. No normal person could be so alluring, so unbelievably beautiful. His face was tan and well shaped, perfect in every sense. His raven hair was always just right, and don't even get me started about his body. Zayn was the definition of perfection as far as I could see. And normally, I would find myself attracted to someone like this. But Zayn was a monster, wasn't he? This was all a trick.

"Now, don't tell me you walk home, all alone?" He said, a small smiling playing on his lips. I swallowed and tried to get my shaking body under control. I simply nodded in response to him and took a step away to give myself more space. "There's no need to be afraid," He continued, his face now seeming concerned.

I knew it was all an act. He didn't care about me. I had to remember that. He was a monster. He had to be.

"Please," I whispered, "Stay away,"

He titled his head, "Niall, why are you so afraid? Have I done something?"

"No, no, no, no," I mumbled incoherently into my hands, feeling a stream of tears begin to stream down my cheeks.

"What did I do?"

"Go away!" I said, "Please, just go,"