Chapter 3 - Mr. Hark

Zayn’s P.O.V.

            The second day of school was just about as eventful as the first. But I was determined to talk to Niall again. I needed to convince him that I wasn’t going to hurt him, and that I wasn’t a ‘monster’. It seemed so strange and absurd for him to think these things, but I was sure he had his reasons, right? What was making him push me away? What was making him so afraid?

            “Zayn, we’re going off campus for lunch today, you’re coming, right?” Harry asked me as we walked into school that morning. I nodded and flashed him a smile.

            “I wouldn’t dare miss it,” I said, “Now, I have to go. There’s something I need to do before class,”

            “Yeah, yeah, go find him,” Harry said, smirking and turning the other direction towards his locker.

            The halls were pretty crowded this morning, even though there was still quite a bit of time before class started. I knew it was going to be harder to find him this morning, but I started at the library, hoping he was there like yesterday. Unfortunately, he wasn’t there. I sighed and turned back into that hallway, walking against the flow of student towards the school courtyard. I had seen Niall there many times before, hiding in the beautiful green mess of the gardens. When I arrived, I walked into the courtyard. It was empty—other than a head of blonde hair hidden in some tall grasses.

            Niall was just sitting there, cross-legged, tying a little piece of grass into multiple knots and examining it emotionlessly. I walked over to him quietly, and sat down next to him. I smiled a bit when he didn’t flinch.

            “It’s nice out today,” I said, looking at the blue sky and feeling the heat from the sun sinking into my body. Niall looked at me, and simply nodded, his blue eyes engulfing mine.

            “S’not raining at least,” He said softly, looking up to the clouds, and then back down to me.

            “Yeah,” I agreed softly, scooting closer to him. When I did this, he froze, his entire body going taut, and he bit his lip. “Uh…” I mumbled, hoping I didn’t scare him, “Am I too close?”

            He looked back up to me and titled his head like he always did, “I suppose not,”

            “Good,” I said, settling onto the green grasses below me, “Do you come here every morning?”

            “Mostly,” He said, “But other times I go to the library,”

            I made that mental note. I could always find him here or the library. That was a very helpful piece of information. I glanced back to Niall, who was still tying his piece of grass into knots, when I noticed a strange shaped bruise on his arm.

            “What happened?” I asked, slowly reaching forward and pointing to the bruise so I didn’t scare him.