tsukishima kei

hello, lovelies <3
i hope you enjoy this different approach :)

◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥

❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜

"Will you never look at me that way?" I asked.

"No."

"Why not?"  He side-eyed me with his brows furrowed, and I fidgeted with my necktie as I waited for him to answer. "Why will you never look at me that way?"

He released a sigh, and I watched him stand and leave me alone at our table where we were supposedly eating lunch peacefully like any other day. I watched him take every step farther away from me until his shadow disappeared into the hallway.

And that was the last day I had seen him in high school.

~~~

Her family moved away to Tokyo the day after she had confessed to me. I didn't know that she was simply taking her chances to confess to me—to see if even if we're apart, there would still be something special between us.

Well, of course, there would have been. We were best friends after all. We could've continued on as we were, but she had to confess, or at least that's where I'd like to put the blame in.

But I know that if I had never walked out on her, maybe things could've gone down a different road. Something we both could've enjoyed more without having to go through a breakup—if there that could even be considered a breakup.

~~~

I met him again two years after that day. We met at a grocery store in Tokyo. He was with his childhood best friend, and I was with a high school friend.

If you would ask me, I would say that I felt joy when I saw him, but also I was conflicted because he had grown into a man. He was the same guy I had a crush on in the first two years of high school, but he was different too.

He had grown taller, and he definitely had grown bigger in size. Perhaps it was because of his very noticeable muscles from playing volleyball. I knew he was still active in the sport because although we never met, I had always watched his matches at home.

I wanted to support him even when we stopped talking. Because even though I thought that confessing to him would mean leaving my feelings with him, I was still in love with him.

But at that point, it seemed like the adoration of a fan for their favorite celebrity. We were miles apart after all.

~~~

We exchanged numbers when we met again after two years of absolutely no contact with each other, and that's when I learned that she never changed her number.

Want to guess her first message to me?

Well, I won't say it, but we shared the same sentiments. But maybe it was because we missed each other that we didn't bother dwelling on what we could've done instead of on what we should've been doing.

We gave each other life updates. It was fun. I enjoyed talking to her, and it gave clarity that I indeed did miss her presence. She was like the calm to my storm—in a very positive and helpful way.

She knew me like no one else, which I really thought she would've already forgotten how to deal with me and my antics, but I guess she never forgot. It's like she memorized my book from cover to cover with no mistake whatsoever.