Chapter Eight - A New Member

~~~ Now playing: Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' by Michael Jackson ~~~

~~~Play/Pause ~~~

Third POV:

The day started like any other. They had a day full of maths and triple science. It was rather boring, just like any other day. And yet, Amethyst was shaking with excitement.

~~~ Flashback ~~~

She had handed her application form into the coach at 6:30. In the morning. She was the first one at the school. She sat outside the gates just waiting for the caretaker to open them and immediately shot into the gymnasium once they were open. The poor caretaker didn't know what had hit him after the girl sped past him and into the gym.

She got changed into some shorts and a loose shirt, ready to practise. She was going to polish her skills. Then, hopefully, she would be let into the team.

At six thirty, the coach arrived.

Kozo Shirogane was an older gentleman who was known for his harsh punishments and training menus. All three strings were terrified of him. He didn't actually coach the teams often but instead watched them from afar. Coach Shirogane arrived with his second in command, Naoto Sanada. They were polar opposites, with the older man being more humorous and Sanada always had a serious expression.

The two had heard the squeaking of basketball shoes and the clatter of equipment in the main gymnasium and went to investigate.

They had no idea who would be there at this early hour and as far as they knew, the so-called 'ghost' that haunted the gymnasium after school was Kuroko! Is there actually a REAL ghost that haunts the gymnasium? Was what both men thought, beads of sweat forming on their foreheads.

They cracked open the gym door as a precaution, only to see a single, very short girl with black hair playing basketball by herself.

She shot, took a defending position and played offence. She was clearly only there to polish her skills, which meant that she was like this, like a professional player, just in general.

"Excuse me." The head coach called.

Amethyst froze up, not expecting anyone to have seen her practising. She wasn't aware of her being watched by them either. She relaxed though when she saw that it was Shriogane and Sanada. The two teachers walked over to her, expressions unreadable.

"What are you doing here?" Sanada asked.

"Practising."

Silence. The girl had responded with one word and already seemed annoyed. Was that disrespect towards the younger male? If it was, could he even do anything, since it was outside school hours?

"I think what my secondary here means is why are you practising here? We haven't seen you around before and you aren't on the team." Shirogane said, nodding at the in front of him.

"I was hoping to join."

Both men looked at each other.

They had nothing against the girl joining, but there was only one problem.

There wasn't a girls team.

"Just judging from what we've seen, you're clearly talented at the sport. But there isn't a girls team since no female is interested in actually playing the sport. Girls normally opt for cleaning the towels and uniform or aim to be a manager." Sanada explained carefully, not wanting to upset the girl any further if he already had (he hadn't. Amethyst was just hard spoken in situations she hadn't been in yet).
"I know full well that there isn't a girls team. I would like to join the boys."