Because of their communication, the extraction crew knows that they will be back first. Maverick and Marcellus part ways with their group when they reach the junction the two teams initially split. They hurry down the hallway, flashing their lights at the walls even though Maverick knows their group has gone nowhere but the right pathway.

The right way, actually, if you will.

Marcellus gets winded quicker than Maverick does. He feels bad that Maverick waits. His heart is thundering. They left the walkie in Galilee's hands. It's running blind. Maverick is only used to blindness related to colours. He takes in a deep breath as well. Marcellus gives him a thumbs up and they push on.

The others get back to the building. They take the elevator just up to Moonie's lounge on the first floor, the one with the limiter that they broke to escape earlier. They are able to open the glass window wide. Galilee rubs Tempest's back as she leans out the window. No, she doesn't think it's gas, but on the off chance it is, Tempest forces herself to heave in every breath.

With them settled, Jerry heads up to his room to grab his spare first aid kit. Maverick should still have his on him, in case when they get to the others they need it.

Darlington looks at the two women. He's a history major. It's not mustard gas, but there is a reason gas warfare was so effective in the trenches, a reason it is banned by the Geneva Convention. The other group had five people. Ro, Elodie, Callie, Moonie, and Benedict. None of them are known for their strength. That path was supposed to be the safe one.

When Galilee meets his eyes, she gives him a knowing nod. Darlington darts back down to the basement and down the stairs.

~~~

Benedict has his scarf wrapped around his face so tightly that he's struggling to breathe. It's easier this way, since Ro is stumbling so much their movement is slowed. Her lips mutter the alphabet backwards, in Spanish, and then back down the right way and back up the wrong way. He knows the confusion is settling in, so he doesn't criticize her for trying to hold on even if it is going to drive him insane alongside her.

Elodie has a splitting headache, and Callie and Moonie are both dragging her along, even once Callie throws up too. Elodie can barely keep her eyes open. She feels okay, just sleepy. She's dehydrated too, probably, from puking a few times. She isn't quite aware enough to notice that Callie's grip on her is slipping. Moonie is all too aware though. It hasn't hit her yet, not the way it's hitting the others.

Lights flash down the tunnel. The others threw as much as they could into bags so they wouldn't have to carry anything except each other. Moonie's got the walkie, and Ro's got the flashlight. She shines it at the boys headed their way.

Maverick gets there first. Ro gestures for him to move back and he does. He picks Elodie up and carries her like a fireman in a drama show Twyla would like. Elodie's eyes are shut, her breaths raspy.

Callie is coughing so hard. Marcellus gets up to them just to watch Maverick turn with Elodie on his shoulders. Staring at her for a second too long, Marcellus shakes away the feeling. He grabs Callie, who has sweat on her brow. Moonie lets Callie go to help Benedict. Marcellus can handle Callie, but Benedict and Ro need more than just each other.

Every step is harder than the next. None of them speak. Moonie wonders if it would be easier to grab the tide and pull it closer to shore with her bare hands.

Darlington gets there just as the group is reaching the junction. The farther they get from where Ro suspects a leak, the better she is feeling. At the very least, her head may feel so heavy on her neck, but she doesn't feel compelled to slur her way through the alphabet.