00

Every year, the resident assistants at Darnley University were told in training that being a resident assistant was like being in a fishbowl. Someone could always be watching you and you might not notice. Every action you take might be blown up out of proportion. Consequently, the resident assistants were expected to behave in accordance with the values and policies of the Residence Unit at all times.

Though there were many units on Darnley's campus, including the Food Services Unit, the Wellness Unit, and the IT unit, the Residence Unit was so ubiquitous that it was simply called the Unit. Student staff would lament the decisions made by the Unit, not always recognizing that they are a part of the Unit. How could they feel as though they belonged anyway? When 5:00 PM hit, the professionals got to go home. The resident assistants were always in the fishbowl. It wasn't just the students who were watching them, but the staff too.

Working in a residence building meant few rewards for their high expectations. The resident assistants were aware of this before the students even arrived. They were told during their training that their job was the noblest of jobs on campus. Some took that to mean they were nobility and could act as they pleased. Other resident assistants believed that their job was morally righteous. Few, mostly comprising those who were returning to the Unit, understood what nobility implied. Resident assistants have to make many sacrifices. Some of those sacrificed would be other resident assistants.

One tedious obligation of the resident assistants was to remain in residence until twenty-four hours after the final exam. They were permitted to leave on the four days prior to Christmas, no earlier than 12:00 PM. Unless a student was granted an extension over the break, which was few and far between, nearly every student left their residence before dinner on the twentieth. No students were granted extensions at Pearcher House.

There were no students to look into the fishbowl on the night of the twentieth.

The basement of Pearcher House had no dorms. It did have a rather large student lounge with vending machines, laundry facilities, and a study room that were all accessible to students. The main floor also had a staff office, a staff kitchen, and a staff lounge. Each of those rooms was locked at all times. They had no windows.

So, it was a tradition in Pearcher House, as it was in the other residences at Darnley University, for the resident assistants to gather in the lounge on the night before they were allowed to leave and enjoy a night without wandering eyes or listening ears. There were no more assignments or exams for the students to fret over. There were no fires (mostly figurative but sometimes literal) for the resident assistants to put out. As the superstition went, anyone who didn't attend would be let go before the end of the year.

Galilee Larsen does not believe in the power of superstitions but instead in the power of team-building.

Elodie Daniels almost forgets about the party, just as she almost forgot last year.

Tempest Morgan, in an effort to keep up appearances, has bought a non-alcoholic red wine to fill her water bottle.

Jerry Winnerson wonders if people would prefer he wore sunglasses to hide his bulging eyes.

Marcellus Singh would not miss this event under any circumstances.

Maverick Santiago smuggled in liquor for everyone inside Pippa's head.

Darlington really, truly, would avoid the night if refusing to attend would not be social suicide.

Moonie Saintin knows it isn't necessary, but she is planning on putting up gold balloons and maroon streamers for everyone to enjoy.

Benedict Altwell feels most isolated when he is not alone, and so he resents that he has already resigned himself to the party.

Callie Romano knows she will enjoy curling her hair and picking out the shade of lipstick which best matches her outfit more than the actual party itself.

Ro Di'Astolla must go because she knows that her parents will pester her about her friendships before she can even grab her suitcase at baggage claim.

Whether or not the resident assistants are excited to attend, they are happy that they could. The students are gone. There is no one to watch them.

All of this acknowledged, the Unit was still wrong. The lessons the resident assistants were taught during training had varying degrees of accuracy and applicability. Their job was not like being in a fishbowl. Being a resident assistant was akin to being in a snow globe.

~~~~~

I do very much enjoy this little tease. Let me know what you think so far. I am incredibly excited to get this started, so the sooner those relationships are done the better! Thank you all so very much for this opportunity to write about the people you've created!