Chapter Sixteen -Sean-

I walked around New York City, trying to enjoy my day here, since my flight doesn't leave for another day. In a way, I found myself mad at Vanessa herself, for leaving the day after I get here. But when I think enough about it- it's all my fault. I show up out of the blue, and it's not like I called her and said 'hey, I'm coming to visit you!' I just knocked on her door, expecting a hug or something, not her to tell me she's leaving for California.

I don't know how I'm going to tell my dad that I lost her, again. I'm sure he's pretty annoyed with me saying that I'm going to fix things with Vanessa this time when really, it just gets even worse. I don't know if she thinks I'm weird, that I don't care enough, or that our star signs aren't compatible. But whatever it is, I hate that we can't just ever do this right.

I sat down on a bench, staring up at Vanessa's old apartment building, which towered up to the beautiful blue sky. Even though I slept on their couch, which was wrapped under some paper, I remember every inch of that small house. The chipped paint in the bathroom corner, the squeaky floorboard right before you step into the tiny kitchen, and the smell of amber in every single room. I felt like I'd know that place my whole life.

When I really think about it, I've known Vanessa since I was in fourth grade, and we did a pen-pal project. At first, I didn't like the idea of writing to a girl who didn't listen to Sum 41 or Eminem, and probably didn't care for Call of Duty- but we still managed to get along just fine. And I was fortunate to be able to say that she was one of my best friends.

And I was letting her get away from me.

I jumped up from my bench and dialed my dad, rushing to the motel to grab my suitcase. The phone rang and rang before my dad finally answered.

"Hello? Sean? Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Listen, how much does a flight to Los Angeles cost?"

~~~~~~