22. Sentinal Site Prescott

Paladin Danse landed their Vertibird at Waypoint Echo where a troop of Brotherhood soldiers awaited with their own Vertibirds. I followed Danse over to them. My stomach dropped when I saw the two suits of power armor that clearly awaited us. I had completely spaced on the fact that I'd have to get back in one, I would never forget the last time I had been in one of the suits... and in the Glowing Sea. The Paladin had barely got me to safety in time and if it hadn't been for Doctor Virgil, I would have died. Danse had a few words with some of the other soldiers. Some saluted me while others just stared. "Are you ready, Knight?" Danse asked as I joined him before the suits.

I shook my head. "I'd rather take my chances with Rad-X and Radaway before I ever get back into one of those." I said while shaking my head.

Danse turned to me. "There are many new recruits here and they are watching us, their superiors, a Paladin and a Knight. We must set an example." He whispered.

I shook my head again. "I almost died last time I got into one of those suits. You saw it." I whispered back harshly. Danse looked back over his shoulder at the watching recruits.

He went down closer to me as I glared up at him. "I brought you back last time, what makes you think I won't this time?" He whispered to me before turning to the smaller suit, opening the back and held out a rough hand to help me in. I was caught off guard by what he had said. I should trust him and what did I have left to lose? With a deep breath, I nodded my thanks and allowed him to help me into the suit. Some of the recruits watched in awe, never having seen a suit of power armor before.

The trek through the Glowing Sea to the Sentinel Site wasn't a long or dangerous one. I found myself almost suspicious of the lack of deathclaws and other creatures that dwelled there. The Paladin never spoke to me, I sensed that something was concerning him. The enormous black pyramid rose from the sands and rubble ominously. "This is it." I said through the intercom system.

"Yes, this is the target." Danse confirmed. I rolled my eyes as I waited for him to break into the building.

"That door was still sealed... it should be safe to leave the power armor now?" I asked hopefully. Danse looked down at the geiger counter on his suits arm.

"I suppose it is." He said and as soon as the words escaped his mouth, I was out of my armor. There was nothing compared to the relief of not being confined in one of those damned suits. I followed him down the metal and rusty catwalks and through multiple control rooms.

"There's nukes everywhere." I commented as we passed a forklift with a small payload on it still. The room seemed dangerously unstable. I clutched Righteous Authority in my hands. "There's something in there." I commented as he approached a heavy metal door.

He looked back at me. "How could anything have gotten in?" He asked.

"Alternate routes." I said almost teasingly with a gulp. The door opened with a heavy shriek. "Holy shit!" I said as we opened fire on a handful of ghouls that came charging at us from down the hall. I caught a nasty blow from a ghoul that had gotten a little too close, knocking me into the concrete wall behind me. The impact knocked the wind out of me. I fought hard against the ghoul, blood running from a cut on one of my hands till I was able to get my rifle up and fired a round into the ghouls chest. Danse looked back to see me panting and wide eyed, dirt in my hair and blood on my hands.

"Are you all right?" He asked as he rushed over and snatched my hand in his own for examination. My tiny hand was yanked from his and he was honestly shaken by my reaction, by the feeling of rejection.

"I'm fine." I said as I strode past him. I marched in a rage and through my weight into the door to the missile silo. Danse hot on my heels.

"State your purpose, stranger. You walk on Atom's hallowed ground." A man in tattered and rotting clothes asked me as I barged into the room. I was taken aback by the clearly sick man. It only took a moment for me to recognize him as a Child of Atom. The door behind him was most likely sealed by a password on the terminal next to the sick man. It was likely that he knew the password. I shot a glare at Danse over my shoulder, a glare that said keep your mouth shut.