12. Waking Dreams

If you remember the memory pod you sit in, I'm going to be changing the design of it. Instead of the big dome, you will just have wires that stick to your head. It'll make sense later 😉👍

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

The flight to Goodneighbor was painfully silent. Danse made sure to stand between me and the open side of the Vertibird. Danse couldn't shake the feeling that he should have done something the night before but in reality, there was nothing he could have done without putting them both at risk. I remained quiet the entire trip and was incredibly thankful that Danse kept his back to me the entire time. I was embarrassed, and even felt a bit guilty.

The Vertibird landed near Goodneighbor. We exited the Vertibird and watched it till it was out of sight. The desolation of the town around me was threatening to bring the old reality crashing back down around me.

It was obvious Danse felt uncomfortable. All the ghouls in the city kept eyeing him. Some with hatred, others with curiosity, and then there were those few giggled and whispered in their hands as their eyes gazed up and down at him. Danse was trying to use me as a shield, walking behind me. But because of how tall he was in the power armor, it didn't really work and he just looked like a child, with his shoulders hunched and following right on my heels. "How long have you been in this area?" Danse's power armor clangs behind me and we make our way past the shops.

"Found it about a few weeks back. Just after meeting Valentine. First time here some guy threatened me to pay him."

"...And what did you do?" I looked back at him.

"Told him to fuck off obviously, like I'd give some rat my caps!" He laughed, his shoulders bouncing lightly. That gave me a funny feeling, don't like this feeling, too... airy... I turn back around and walk faster, hoping the wind hitting my face will help it cool down. At the third group of ghouls that glanced with appreciation at him, I rolled my eyes and grabbed his hand basically hanging on him. He looked a little startled at first but got the message and allow me to do so, standing up straighter so it didn't look as awkward. It seemed to work because now the ghouls turned away. Even those who gave him looks of disgust. We had to look around for a while before we actually noticed the big obvious glowing sign that said

Memory Den

We had somehow missed it and only noticed it on the third walk around the small town. Danse's footsteps stop behind me and it's silent for a moment. I want to open the doors and head in but my body felt like every limb weighed a ton each. And all I could do was look at the painted wood. Danse reached over me and rested his hand on the door handle before speaking. "Are you okay, soldier?" Even though he didn't say my name, his voice was quiet, like he didn't want others to hear us.

"Nervous. That's all. Just gotta suck it up and get through it." I grabbed the other door handle and swung it open, walking through the dark hallway dotted with candles and degraded posters of woman in exposing poses, the huge room, loss of all colors were red but there are a few purples and yellows. I focused on my feet and the sound of my footsteps as I walked further into the den and begun to hear the whirring of the memory machines, pods that people sit in to experience dream like states of their memories.

Danse muttered behind me. "This isn't right. . . doing this could prove detrimental to your health..."

We walked further towards the back and took a turn at a set of stairs leading downwards. Before descending I quickly turn towards Danse. "I need your gun."

"No."

His answer was immediate and firm, I could feel my neck prickle with sweat. "We need the contact to feel comfortable. Being in Goodneighbor is shady enough, obviously there's gonna be people with backgrounds you don't agree with and I don't want shit going down so give me your gun... please."