14. Calm Before The Storm

I awoke with the feeling of dread heavy in my chest. Never before had I thought that a memory could be so vivid. Disorientation clouded my mind as I sat straight up, trying to figure out where I was and how I had gotten there.

"Whoah, wait are... well are you okay?" I heard Danse say in the darkness beside me and I relaxed slightly. My eyes were still adjusting. I ran a hand through my hair.

"We're on the Prydwen, aren't we?" I asked finally, my voice hoarse. All of the emotions I had felt were still so fresh.

"We are. How... how are you feeling?" Danse asked me again.

"I... I just need some air. I'm a bit overwhelmed." I said as I got up and left the room before he could question me further.

I hurried through the halls in a daze and out onto the Prydwen's flight deck. The chilly air crept through my jeans and hoodie, my hair blowing about lightly in the breeze. It almost felt normal to be wearing my old clothes with my arms resting on the railing. Nate and myself had used to lie out in our backyard and watch the stars. I found myself wishing that Nate could have seen stars as they were now. Despite the painful memory I had relived, I had learned that the Institute used teleportation and that I needed to find the escaped scientist named Virgil. Virgil in the Glowing Sea. The Glowing Sea? I didn't know what it was but I was sure it would be as unpleasant as it's name suggested. I glanced back at the massive windows of the command center... the lights were off, I was sure Maxson had gone to his quarters for the night. I would have welcomed the Elder's company at this point, he was a strong man and I was certain that he would have been able to give me useful advice, but I was alone, or so I had thought.

Danse lingered in the shadows of the Prydwen's flight deck. He had been debating whether or not he should give the the sole survivor some space or if she would accept his presence. Scribe Haylen's words lingered in his mind, but he knew he didn't have many options.

Paladin Danse approached me hesitantly and quietly. It didn't matter though, I had heard him, and whipped around to face him. When I had heard his footsteps I had been certain that I would turn to see Elder Maxson. "Paladin Danse." I murmured solemnly as I watched him approach. He kept his eyes cast down.

"What are you doing out here?" He asked, instantly regretting his question because I had told him exactly what I was doing. I needed air, space, but he hadn't been able to wait long before following me.

"I just came out here to think. I saw Kellogg's memory of Vault 111, but I also saw what I needed to see and I know where I need to go next now." I told the Paladin. He nodded, he knew as well.

"Virgil in the Glowing Sea." He said, echoing my thoughts. I may not have known of the place but the Paladin did and he knew just how dangerous it was.

"I won't pretend to know what awaits in the Glowing Sea, but I have a hunch that it is rather unpleasant and I don't expect you to go with me. You have gone above and beyond for me and it wouldn't be right for me to expect more from you, Paladin." I told him with my chin held high. If I was going to continue this suicide mission to find my son, I would have to do it without dragging everyone down around me.

In that moment Danse felt that he was being doubted, he felt like he needed to prove that she was no trouble to him and that he would always be there to help her, words always failed him.

After a moment of internal struggle Danse took a step towards me, catching my tiny waist in his calloused hands. The action had taken every ounce of courage he had had in him and he had caught me completely off guard, I couldn't help but smile as he hoisted me up. He knew I loved the stars. Wrapping my legs around his waist, I steadied myself by resting my hands on his shoulders as I looked up at the stars above the Prydwen.