Would You Date A Clone Of Yourself?

"Hey, uh, let's ditch the weird purpose talk." That was what you heard Susie say as you zoned back into their conversation.

Kris' brisk pace left you a bit behind them as you kept your steps slow. The two of you kept your pinky fingers interlocked despite the bit of distance.

"You're probably just glad you ate a weird berry."

"I ate a weird berry once." You chimed in, nodding along somberly. "We all get that way sometimes, bro."

Susie made a gagging noise at the memory. You turned your head around, sticking your tongue out at her. The both of you fully knew that you've eaten worse. But in your defense! It was for science. You were sorta sure that was a noble enough reason.

"Yeah! I'm still boost from the juice!"

Exactly! Uh. Whatever that meant.

"I mean, look, I'M not from here and hanging out like this..." She trailed off, simply rolling her eyes at your immature gesture. A doubtful look came across her face as she struggled to find the right words. "I also feel kinda uh y'know..."

"Happy?" Ralsei suggested, hopefully.

"Psshh nah." Susie snorted as if he uttered the impossible. She stared at her feet as she walked. Her next words were in a whisper. "Maybe."

You and Ralsei looked at each other when the words were uttered. You sent him a wink, biting your cheek so you wouldn't grin. He seemed ecstatic that Susie was even considering that happiness was what she felt. He pulled his hat down further his head, concealing his expressions about Susie could see.

"Look everyone! We can see the castle!" Ralsei cried, darting forward to get a better look.

Down the path forward, there was a gap between the trees. Everyone slowed to a stop, looking at the view in between. In the distance stood the castle. The black stone walls towered over the whole group despite still being a ways away. Massive playing cards symbols could be seen against the towers. But what you assumed really caught everyone's eyes was the massive geyser. The darkness that it spewed bled out into the sky, making the vibrant trees seem brighter.

"Yes! That's where I live!" Lancer pointed at the building. His voice faltered from excitement into hesitation. "Me and... Me and my dad."

"What's that black thing emerging from the top?" Susie asked, pointing above the castle.

You turned and tapped her shoulder. She glanced over. You gestured for her closer. You cupped your free hand near your mouth as you whispered to her.

"It looks like your girl when I was-"

She grunted in disgust, immediately pulling away and shoving your face away. Susie scowled at you, regretting that she listened to you. "You need a better sense of humor. Seriously."

You giggled to yourself, fixing your messy hair that she caused when she pushed you away. You caught a ghost of a smile on her lips as she turned to Ralsei who had an actual answer. He eagerly told her that it was the fountain. It was the key to getting them all home.

"Jeez, took long enough!" Susie dusted the non-existent dust off her hands. She began to walk faster down the path. "C'mon guys, lets go."

Itching the back of your neck, you followed. "Y'know, 'Jeez, took long enough.' is what you say when your food finally arrives after like an hour. Not when your about to leave a whole realm."