Dreading On A School Night

YOUR POV:

As much as you liked Ralsei and Kris, you couldn't help but be happy to see Susie again. She was your only school friend, after all. You had more acquaintances and connections than friends. Susie was the exception. That mean, mean girl in all her purple glory. It wasn't your job to make sure she didn't get into some... murderous situations, but you did it nonetheless.

"Hey. Hey kid." The blue puzzle piece man with a black hat called out to the blue leader of the group. "Ya wanna buy a tutorial?"

Kris stared.

"It's only fifty dark dollars!"

The teenager didn't move for a second but began to pull out their wallet. Susie, who was watching, scoffed and grabbed the wallet out of Kris' hands before they could give anything.

"Are you daft?! 50 dollars?! Even Sloth is better at spending wisely and they're always online shopping!"

"You're right but hey!" You frowned, a little offended that she had to bring in your impulsive buying history. You weren't thaat bad with your money. Things were buy one, get one! Nobody could blame you for a good sale.

Kris turned to the puzzle man and shook their head.

The once smug and seemingly calm darkner began to panic. His eyes went wide, and his voice was shaky. "HAHA! Did I say FIFTY!? Well, we just went on sale! TWENTY! TWENTY Dark Dollars!"

Your eyes went bright. That was a nice sale. Susie, thought otherwise and shook her head, holding the wallet high above Kris' head. They shook their head again.

The four of you expected that to be the end, but the darkner began to scream. "ONE! ONLY ONE DOLLAR! PLEASE! PLEASE! I NEED THIS RIGHT NOW!"

Oh damn. His desperate tone and loud voice made you flinch. You walked over to Susie, who was slowly lowering her hand. She tossed it to Kris and leaned down to whisper to you.

"Crazy people." She said, looking at the darkner's overly ecstatic expression when Kris hesitantly handed over the dark dollar.

"Tell me about it." You muttered in reply as the man laughed with desperate relief. You didn't know if you should've been intimidated or felt pity.

"R-really!? You changed your mind!?" He held the money like it would run away from him if he let go. "Heheh... Right this way gentleners!"

The puzzle man went to the left path, a pep in his step. Ralsei approached you two as Kris followed the darkner.

"I didn't know you were a good haggler, Susie!"

She scowled, walking after Kris and grabbing your arm. "I'm not. I just hate people who spend like they're gonna die in the morning."

She really did. You weren't sure if it was out of jealousy or from using her head. Susie's methods were always the same. She had chased down a man around town who scammed you once. You got a free hoodie out of it and your money back. Worth it.

Susie dragged you to the tutorial area.

"We're sorry. We're normally puzzle guys, but we've been forced to do tutorials just to make ends meet." The man tossed the dark dollar into a dark hole in the ground. He leaned against the wall, his hat casting a shadow on his face and causing him to look edgier than before. The monster spoke with bitterness. "When the king got power he fired everyone and replaced all puzzle makers with him... Rouxls Kaard, Lord of the Puzzles."