Chapter XXI: Soren

A week had passed since the death of Soren's parents, and today he and Selene had been given permission to visit their graves. Beau came with them, armed in case Soren tried anything. Soren knew that he was lucky to be alive, and only under house arrest. He was happy to be allowed to continue his marriage to Selene, seeing as even though it was forced they had truly fallen for each other and Soren was happy with her. While in the past he may have helped Scheven in doing all the things that lead up to his death, he had realized in the middle of the conflict all of the wrongdoings that had been done. However, his fear of disappointing his parents outweighed his morals. They died proud of him, or so Soren thought, and thus he could now do as he wished, within the means of house arrest. All that mattered to him now was Selene and the future that they would have together.
The three walked over to the graves. Soren kneeled in between his parent's graves while Beau and Selene stood in front of her mother's. Soren looked to his right and read Soleil's tombstone. Soleil Seegol-Lee. Beloved wife, mother, and Queen. Always claimed she was in too deep. 3  feet, betrayed Zellarid but made up for it. Soren looked to his left and read Luna's. Luna Lee. Grand Queen of Mirirejar, beloved wife and mother. Always got out of bad situations. 3  feet, betrayed Mirirejar but made up for it. Soren got up and went to comfort his wife, who unknowingly comforted him too. He was glad to finally visit the graves again, but didn't realize how hard it would actually be to be there again.
They returned home where they saw Xayah's letter sitting on the counter. Selene walked over and picked it up, examining it once more. "What do you think Xayah wants, especially with us?" she asked as she replaced the letter. "I'm not sure. I'm glad we'll have an excuse to leave the house again. I don't know how my parents did this." he said as he threw himself on the couch. "Certainly." she said as she walked over to him. "You can leave, Selene. You just live with me, you aren't bound here." she sighed. "I suppose you're right. I just feel bad leaving without you, even just to get things from the market." she turned to face him, and he did the same. He didn't know why it took him so long to realize that she was an amazing woman, his perfect woman no less. They smiled at each other, knowing that they were thinking the same thing. He had never known romantic love until recently, and was so happy to have found it. He felt horrible for how he had treated her in the past, back when all of this had started. That was only a month or two ago, but it had felt like so, so long ago when they had traveled from their sub-kingdoms to plot Anastasia's death with Scheven. Soren had almost forgotten his Rielweth years, as most of them were spent at their grand parties. Olixson had convinced Masxvia to remain in power there, and Soren was glad that a Yag now sat on the throne of Rielweth, which is how it should be. Masxvia was miserable, but his wife and kids were happy, or so Soren heard.
"What are you thinking about?" selene asked as she caressed his arm. "How horrible I was to you before we left Mirirejar before all this started. I don't know what you ever saw in me." she snickered. "You were just too serious back then. All war and no fun." Soren snickered at that, thinking yet again of the Rielwethian parties. "What? What's so funny about what I said?" she asked, drawing her hand away from Soren's arm. "You say I'm no fun. Ask any Rielwethian who attended the same party as I and they will tell you differently." She put her arm back after he finished speaking. "So the rumors are true, they throw wild parties there?" Soren nodded. "They certainly do. What about Faormen, I know they don't go too big on that stuff other than new years." she laughed at his words. "It would often be November that we would finally have fully cleaned up from New years. Whose twenty days were odd, not silver or confetti in their odd hiding places." They continued to talk of their sub-kingdoms, until they realized how dark it had gotten.
Soren woke up in the middle of the night to a knock on the door. He looked to Selene, who was still asleep. Hoping the person would go away, Soren tried to go back to sleep. However, he heard the knock again. "Selene! Soren!" he heard Aurora's voice yell. Soren carefully got out of the bed so as to not wake Selene as he made his way to the door. She stood in her nightgown, her hair all tangled and she was wearing her house shoes. "Is Selene awake?" she asked. "No, she's still asleep. What's going on?" he asked as he let her in and shut the door. "I need to talk to her about some things, family things." She walked past Soren. "I'm family too, you know." She stopped walking. "Fine. Sister things then. Where's the bedroom, we're waking her up." she said without looking back. Soren led her to the bedroom, where Aurora shook Selene awake. In a dazed state, Selene punched Aurora in the face before realizing it was her, then immediately apologized. "It's fine. Look, I need to talk to you." Aurora said as she sat on the bed. "Now? I was asleep!" Selene snapped at her sister. "Soren, could you leave us alone?" Aurora snapped at Soren.