Chapter XV: Soren

As Soren and Selene walked around the garden, which had become their daily ritual, a guard had come running to them. "King Soren! Queen Selene!" he yelled over and over. "Your mother, King Soren, is here with horrid news." He led them to the throne room, where Soleil stood. She ran up to hug Soren, before telling them what had happened. Luna had fled to Rielweth and she to Faormen, thinking she was right behind her. They had all chased her, but she was faster. She climbed a tree and swung from the canopies to get away. She was certain they would be there soon. They prepared for an attack, Soleil doing her best to guide him through the process. When they had small breaks, Soren told her of his relationship with Selene. He had been skeptical of the marriage at first, but was enjoying married life with her. Though he did not tell his mother, he knew that he was truly falling for Selene.
As Soren, his wife and his mother spoke with the captain of the guard, they heard of the party's arrival. They killed those they saw and apparently snuck around, killing those that stood in their way. Soren, Soleil and Selene ran around yelling at them to face them and them only. They came around the corner yelling, when they saw the group. Beau, Tage, Chloe, an elf woman and a human woman stood before them. "A- Arlie?" Soleil asked. The human woman nodded. "I couldn't see you in the dark as Luna and I ran. How, why, who?" she pleaded. Arlie turned to the elf. "Xayah found a way to bring me back. I was going to rid this world of Anastasia, that murderous tyrant. But you beat me to it. We're all here for different reasons, but for one united cause. You, your son, your wife, and Scheven must die." Xayah grabbed Selene's hand and ran her out of the room, Chloe and Beau attacked Soleil, and Tage and Arlie attacked Soren.
Soren knocked Arlie over easily, then began to fight with Tage. Arlie sat stunned, watching as Soleil was easily taken and ushered out to where Xayah and Selene had run. Soren hit Arlie in the head with the butt of his sword, knocking her out. Tage wasn't dealt with as easily. Their skill was matched equally, and it seemed that they went back and forth as to who was winning the fight. Soon Chloe and Beau came back as Beau shot an arrow into Soren's back. He screamed in agony but did not give up his fight. Chloe dragged Arlie away, then came back to kick Soren in the back of his knee. The fight moved down the hall, towards where Selene and Soleil were. They had been locked in two rooms with glass doors, and they were banging on them to get out. Eventually, Selene threw a vase through the glass and ran to them. Soren had knocked them all out other than Tage, who he was getting tired of dealing with. "Stop!" Selene yelled from the top of the steps. Neither man stopped, despite her cries. Soren wanted to do as she said, but he refused to give up his ground. "Husband, Brother, our families are one. Stop!" she pleaded. Tage's eyes widened at his sister's words, but refused to stop swinging at his brother-in-law. Selene ran up in between them, and they stopped in fear of hurting her.
"You two are married now! Selene, how could you do this!" Tage yelled at his sister. Their family, Arlie, and Xayah, laid around them. Soleil was still beating on the door. "I love him." she said, looking at Soren. "And I love her too." Selene smiled at him. "Our families are one now. Can't we put the past behind us?" Selene asked, looking to Tage now. "Selene, he killed our mother. How can you forgive something like that so easily?" he yelled back at her. "Scheven was the one to wield the weapon, to stab her." Soren defended himself. "You just may not have gotten the chance!" Tage yelled back. All the yelling had aroused Beau, who had only been hit just enough to knock him out and leave a bruise, but still able to be woken. "You love him? He killed your mother!" he yelled at his daughter. "I loved him before he killed, I'll love him after. You understand that, don't you father?" she said, glaring down at him. "Your mother did what she had to do for us, for all of Iphica!" he exclaimed as he stood. "Now is no time for this." Tage interrupted. "We take them back to Zellarid. We'll have time to talk during the journey. Then we come back for Scheven and Luna." he ordered. Beau nodded in agreement, then looked over at Soren. He raised his bow and aimed it at him as his son raised his sword. "Drop the sword, Soren. Son-in-law or not, you helped plot the death of my wife. So drop the sword."
The sword clanged loudly on the marble floor. Soren had often thought of a fight between him and Tage, and did not anticipate it ending like this. Soren's heart was ice, like his mother's, but just as Soleil had warmed Luna, Selene had warmed him. He was soft now, and feared his mother's disappointment. He let Beau tie his hands behind his back, looking at Selene the whole time. Tage woke the others, who seemed to not be too damaged by Soren's blows. Reluctantly, Selene ties Soleil's hands behind her as well. Xayah and Arlie leaned on each other and Chloe leaned on Beau so that they could walk. Selene and Tage forced Soren and Soleil forward and through the village. Beau went to visit Annabelle and her husband, who immediately went to the palace to take over. They slept in their home that night, then set out to return for Zellarid.