Chapter X: Selene

Soren did as he was told, and as he walked over to Selene, she looked at him conflicted. Luna stood, but looked to Selene in a way that held her down. "Would you like me to go?" she asked once Soren was there. "If that's alright." Selene asked from the floor. "Of course. When you've made your decision, Selene, have Soren come and fetch me." Luna smiled condescending before leaving the tower. "So, you want to talk to me?" Soren asked. "I didn't think I was that obvious. But it doesn't matter now, you tried to kill my parents! How could I ever love a murderer?" she wailed, cupping her face in her hands. Luna came around the cove again. "It's your only choice, girl. And if you are your father's daughter you'll have no issue with it." Selene stood and stormed over to Luna. "Don't you dare talk about my parents that way. My mother did what she had to do for Iphica. Lost Queen was a tyrant!"

"Ah, so it is not just me your mother made twisted stories about."

"Her ones of you fit."

"Watch your tone, girl. I'm the only thing keeping you alive. If I wanted you dead, you would be. You'll marry Soren, be Queen of Faormen, and help us remove the rest of your power hungry family from this world. You could survive, girl, under our protection. What say you?"

"When shall we wed?"

Luna smirked down at her, then pushed Soren closer to Selene. He reached out his hand to her and she took it, torn between the strong handsome man she had loved and the cold-hearted attempted murderer she was to marry. They walked out of the tower back into the throne room where Soleil sat on the secondary throne and Scheven at the bottom of the stairs up to it. "She's back. We shall hold the wedding tonight." Luna announced as they re-entered the throne room. Luna climbed the stairs back to Soleil and sat in her throne once more. She signaled for Selene and Sorren to join them up there in the remaining two seats, and as they climbed Luna rang the loud bell to signal the guards to return. She ordered a few to run and get the items required for a last minute royal wedding, and Selene was ushered away to get ready.
Soleil had come to help her get ready, and as she laced up the dress she could tell that Selene was shaking. "Cold feet?" she asked as she tightened the corset. "I wasn't expecting this to be how my wedding went." she said, speaking half truth. "I understand. My wedding wasn't what I thought it would be. But I wore this very dress, and I was happy. I understand that these circumstances are different. I wanted my wedding. I know you love Soren though." A tear trickled her cheek. "How can I love someone who tried to kill my mother?" Selene truly began to cry. Soleil hugged her, hesitant. Selene pushed her away. "I know you worked with him to get him out of jail. Tell me, Soleil, did you ever see my mother again? Does she know where we are?" Soleil began to cry. "She'll be here in spirit." Soleil said, also tearing up. "Don't tell me..." Selene's voice was shaky. "She came as we escaped the jail. Scheven snuck around as the rest of us distracted her. He had a sword..." Soleil trailed off as Selene realized.
Selene walked down the makeshift aisle with a tear stained face. Her vail hid it until she was at the altar, where Luna married them. Soleil took Selene's flowers as she and Soren walked down the aisle together. They went back into the castle to change out of their wedding clothes and prepare for their journey to Faormen. As she packed, tears still streamed down her face. She wasn't married to the man she loved, she was married to the man who helped kill her mother.
They were to leave for Faormen tomorrow, leaving plenty of time for Selene and Soren to get to know each other better before they ruled together. They walked through the garden together, Selene looking down at the ground. "I'm sure it's hard to lose her. But she caused more harm than good."

"Can we not talk about her?"

"You need to move on."

"I lost my mother and your advice to me is to get over it?"

"A good ruler must show no emotion."

"No emotion means no heart. No heart means tyranny."

"Like your mother."

"Don't speak about her that way! You'd rather have Lost Queen?"

"I'd rather all three still be in charge. The world worked when there were multiple rulers and not one dictator"

"Like your mother was? Mine did what she had to do. Your parents were traitors, and Lost Queen would have been worse than my mother."

"Simply because my parents fell in love they were denied their crowns?"

"Because Soleil was on the Miriejar side. She was a traitor."

"And Luna?"

"She started it all."

"Let's just walk."

He walked faster, and Selene struggled to keep up. She went back into the castle where she saw Scheven sharpening his sword, the sword that had killed her mother. She ran into her room and threw herself on the bed.
     Her circumstances as they were, her hands tied as tight as they were, everything was overwhelming to her. "Mother, if you can hear me," she started. "Send me a sign. Help me, dear mother, help me. Should I fail I'll get to see you again, but if I do not succeed father, Aurora and Tage will be mourning even more. I'm sure Aurora in particular is taking your death incredibly hard, I'm scared you may see her soon. So please, dear mother, give me the strength to go on. Allow me to do what I need for Iphica. Please, dear mother, please."