ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ᵗʷᵉˡᵛᵉ

As Paige was escorted out of the surgery, she looked back seeing Meredith. Meredith was visibly shaking but tried to calm herself down.

"What the hell were you thinking?" Jack shouted at her, leaving the room tension-filled.

She sighed, rubbing her hands over her face. "I don't know Jack. Maybe for the fact that we could of all died!"

"Oh, so you're prepared to leave Ariel without a mother-"

"Do not bring her into this. My job is to protect people and if that means sacrificing myself for hundreds of lives in this hospital, then yes." Paige glanced at Jack. He was angry at her but angry that he could have lost her.

"Jack!"

They both looked to Jack's boss, he was waiting at the door of the room Meredith was still in.

"Next time, think. Ariel could have lost her mother. Never mind the fact I would've lost you, Paige. She needs you. I need you." Jack walked off glancing behind him at Paige.

Paige stared as the door shut behind him. She walked to one of the walls, sliding down. Thoughts were racing in her head but couldn't help but think what would have happened if she was in Meredith's position.

___________

He put his hand out, "Mark Sloan. Dr Mark Sloan."

She raised an eyebrow, looking down at his outreached hand and back at his face, "Okay." She turned to one of the nurses filling out forms, "Excuse me, this man here is saying he's a doctor so um... just keep an eye on him please."

she walked off, giving him a strange look as he stood there mouth gaping. Confusion ran through his body, how could anyone not know who he is?

As the day went on, Paige continued to go on the rotor for the elderly. Meredith was meant to be on the rotor for the elderly but considering what had just happened a few days ago, Paige was more than happy to pick up the extra work. Especially when it was for a friend.

So when she knocked on Mr Sammelo's door, she didn't exactly expect that 'doctor' from this morning to be here.

"Oh sir, the waiting room is downstairs and visiting hours are not for another 2 hours." Paige carefully watched as the man look from Mr Sammelo to her, smiling.

"Miss Paige, this is Mark. He's a very good friend of mine." Paige raised an eyebrow at Mark before nodding.

"Considering you probably didn't hear me last time, I'm Mark Sloan." He gets up from the chair and brings his hand out.  She watched as she could see him more carefree, that stupid smirk was gone and there was genuine happiness.

"Dr Avery." Paige quickly shakes his hand before going to read Mr Sammelo's chart. "So, um how do you know each other?"

"Oh wow isn't that an old tale..." Mr Sammelo continues to tell them how he was a firefighter for 40 years and unfortunately had suffered from 3rd degree burns as he saved a family from a burning home, unfortunately, the family's youngest daughter ran back inside to try to rescue their cat. That's when he ran inside the collapsing building and managed to shield the young girl and the cat from the flames but it had burnt through his uniform. So when he was sent to the hospital, and had no insurance Mark happily paid for plastic surgery for him.

"Wow, I knew you were a hero Mr Sammelo but I didn't know you did that." Paige smiled proudly at the patient, ignoring the look from Mark.

"I did nothing. Mr Mark was the real hero, he even let me stay at his house while I recovered. Of course, I'll never forget you and that blonde nurse-"

"Okay, Mr Sammelo. I'm sure you're tired after all that talking and looks like your lunch is here." Mark quickly interrupted as he placed his hand on Mr Sammelos with his cheeks becoming red. A nurse had also just come in at the right time with his lunch tray.

Paige and Mark said their goodbyes and walked out of his room.

She sighed as she closed the door, "Well that was entertaining-" the two chuckled, "- and about this morning. I just wanted to say that I'm sorry."

Mark's eyebrows knitted together before remembering the quick interaction, "No, of course, I mean I didn't have my badge on. And I sounded like a total idiot."

Paige shook her head," While I agree with you sounding like a total idiot, I should have checked before I just walked away." the two enjoy the hospital silence," Wait, you said you don't have your badge, does that mean you're working here?"

Mark nodded, "Yeah, I mean I hope so. There are a few I need to sort out or rather a few people I need to see before I start."

Paige hums, before walking side by side with Mark, "So what happened with that blonde nurse?" his cheeks redden as she laughs at his embarrassed face.

Unknown to them, Derek had been watching their interaction since they walked out of the hospital room. His fists tightened and a pit in his stomach had started to form.

a/n
IMMM BACKK!!
Okay, I know it's been forever since I wrote a chapter and while I want to start with good news I have chosen to only post a chapter for this story every 2 weeks.
I really love this story but for some reason, I don't have that same excitement as I did in the beginning so while I post every 2 weeks, I am going to be starting a new story.

I have many many projects for the future but never had time to finish them until now. And if you have any ideas for other fanfics, let me know!

Now on the good news, on the other week ill be posting chapters for a different story. I haven't really decided which one but I hope you understand!

Thank you for the love of this book, the votes and the comments!

kimi.