ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ᵉˡᵉᵛᵉⁿ

"Jake Burton. 15. Has advanced craniodiaphyseal dysplasia. Was admitted last night after complaining of headaches." Paige announced, watching the young boy sitting quietly in the hospital bed.

She watched as Derek assesses him, and the parents watch worriedly too.

"You know you could pretend I'm a lion. It helps."

The room went quiet as she burrowed her eyebrows, "Sorry?"

"You could pretend I'm a lion and then instead of a really messed up kid you get a talking circus animal which is way easier to look at." Jack stared at Paige, his face showed nothing but she could see he was embarrassed by the glint in his eyes, his hands fidgeting together and the slight twitch below his right eye.

Derek looked at her, "Dr Avery, what's our immediate concern?"

Her eyes flickered between Derek and the boy Jack, "Um,...that the bony tumours are growing inward and encroaching on his brain."

She gazed at the boy. Her mind was filling with memories, the lights flashing, the explosion ringing in her ears. She mindlessly walked around the hospital, too distracted to see where she was going that she accidentally bumped into someone.

"Hey there, you okay?" the man slightly grabbed her by the shoulders, seeing the blank stare behind her eyes.

"Hi, uh... yeah I'm okay." She nodded, taking a step towards the nurses' desk.

"Are you sure? You kinda looked like a robot." He chuckles, following her.

"Yeah...oh, you do need any help? The waiting room is over there." She gracefully pointed to the left, watching him follow her gaze.

"Oh, I uh... I'm not a patient." He rubbed the back of his head awkwardly.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Who are you?"

He put his hand out, "Mark Sloan. Dr Mark Sloan."

a/n-

I know it's been a while and this chapter is short but at least it's out.

also big news we hit over 9k views! and I have 19 followers! which is amazing, so thank you!!!

I'm working on the last of us book as well, so let me know if you'd be interested. there are some mini spoilers on my new tiktok account which is called

getmefaraway

so please follow to gain some mini spoilers or if you don't like them then you'll be glad to know the book is coming out soon!!

thanks so much for reading!

kimi