Chapter Twenty-Two

Lily

I was confused at his behaviour but I trusted him so I did as he said. He would never go against our plan if there was no reason so it made sense to listen to him. He was also pretty much the key player in this since he had spent ages in the forest and with his mother so he would know far more than me.

I also had no reason to doubt his judgement so I immediately downed the potion. It was good that I did because if I hadn't, I would have been convinced that we were still safe.

He had told me of his doubts multiple times but I never really believed him or maybe I didn't want to believe him. Whatever the case as soon as he gave his reasons there was no denying that she knew something and we had to take measures.

It would be a shame to fail after being so close to freedom but some of the measures seemed incredibly difficult, for instance not eating breakfast. I was afraid that I would not have the strength to run away but if she had drugged the food then that would definitely end the plan.

So, it was a choice between definitely failing and maybe failing which was not an ideal situation but then he talked about those fruits and all of a sudden things were made clearer.

We were flying towards the tree house when we saw Ophelia heading our way with a basket in hand that looked empty, exactly how Tristan said that he had met her except for the fact that the basket had been filled.

We exchanged anxious glances, fully convinced that she had tampered with our potions. There was no other explanation but this fact hit Tristan the hardest and I felt it. He looked like he was about to cry and I instinctively hugged him, in an attempt to calm him and it worked.

By the time he had calmed down Ophelia had noticed us and was coming our way. She asked, "What happened Tan?" as soon as he heard her voice he pulled away from the hug and faced her.

The expression on his face was blank and I was worried. I tried to get him out of this situation by telling Ophelia enthusiastically, "We're going to eat morning diamonds and I hugged him in excitement! Now please can we go mom? I want to eat them!"

Usually, she folded to whatever her daughter Trista demanded but today was not like that. Instead, of letting us go she said smirking, "You really do know how to act like Trista. Good job on training her Tan, I really should listen to you sometimes. You can come up with great plans."

I had known ever since his explanation that she knew about everything but what she said still left me dumbstruck because I had never expected her to pull this move and reveal her knowledge. Tristan however was not shocked and kept staring at her unflinchingly.

She continued, "I am also really impressed with your potion making skills. You really are talented and could easily surpass me with a few more years of practice which only I can give you. So do you really want to leave?"

I looked at Tristan waiting for his answer, I knew that the hope of becoming a potion master would not be the thing to turn back on this plan. He was not that superficial but I was still scared because she was his mother and all he wanted was her to care which she seemed to be doing now.

Instead of answering her however he asked, "How long have you known?" and she replied promptly, "Ever since the library incident where you tried to make stronger potions to subdue me and my servants."

He enquired, "Why did you not do anything to stop me? Why is she still alive?" Ophelia chuckled and said, "Did you want me to?" he said coldly, "Of course not, I am just wondering. What stopped you?" and she said arrogantly, "I just knew that you would never actually be able to leave and the reason I didn't hurt lily was because like I said. Your plan was far better than my plan and far more efficient. All I had to do was wait until she mastered the act and that way I could keep Trista with me forever."