Chapter Fifteen

Tristan
When Lily crashed into me yesterday and I saw her cry, I chose to focus on her and deal with my crisis later. Thankfully I was able to do that and calm her down but the guilt in me had only increased.

She would never be happy here, I had to accept that. Having her stay here would be torture for her and I did not want her to go through that torture but betraying my mother was something unfathomable to me.

I couldn't do it because she was the woman who had looked after me for most of my life. She was the one who fed me and played with me. The one who carried me and did her best as a single parent. How could I betray her but on the other side what she was doing was all kinds of wrong. What was I supposed to do?!

That was when I was interrupted by Lily who looked extremely worried about me, "What happened Tristan?" seeing her worried face hurt me even more. I could not understand how she still cared after what I had done to her.

I just couldn't understand her and wanted to ask her exactly why she still cared and I know she did but then I realised that this would just worry her more. The best thing I could do now was leave and think about everything in order to make a decision.

So, I told her, "I am still pretty upset about yesterday and the whole cave fiasco. I am sure I'll be fine after a little walk. Why don't you proceed to entry twenty while I take a walk or if you prefer we could just not have a lesson today and end here. I'll give you the potion and we could leave." "I think I'll write entry twenty." "Alright I'll come back when the time is up. Don't worry about me too much, ok?" she nodded and said, "Yeah, you don't have to worry about me worrying about you. I don't care about you all that much."

That's what she said but I knew that she was lying because her eyes still looked worried. That only further served to increase my guilt.

Just why did she care?! Everything would be so much easier if she didn't care about me. The choice would be obvious then because I could choose the person who cared over the one who didn't even if I cared for both parties. The choice would be hard but so much easier than now but now she cared too. In fact, it sometimes seemed like she cared more than my mother which was obviously nonsense.

There was no way this could be true because a mother's love is said to be unconditional and was supposed to last longer than any other kind of love. This was not the right place to think.

I had to leave so that was what
I was about to do when she stopped me, "Before you go, I just wanted to thank you again for yesterday and apologise for the trouble I gave you and have been giving you."

She kept making this decision harder but I held back my tears and said nonchalantly, "Don't worry about it. You are my friend and I don't mind helping around. Not to mention the fact that you are doing me a favour. See you soon." With that I flew off and left her to her own devices.

Lily

He was not okay and a walk would not help him, there was no way it would. I don't know what he saw there but it must have been terrible. Not only was he crying but this demon feeds off your biggest guilt and fear combined.

I wanted to help him but he would never tell me so the only thing I could do was read his diary. I knew it was wrong but I couldn't help it. I needed to know so I could help him like he had helped me so I was glad he left. Finding the diary was the easy part since he had left it on the desk but opening it was the hard part since I felt incredibly guilty about doing this since I was invading his privacy.

I never had privacy at home so I knew exactly how it felt but I also wanted to help him. This was a very difficult task to perform. I couldn't do that to him, he trusted me so I had no right to betray his trust. Yes, I wouldn't do it. Let's just focus on the diary entries to ensure my survival.