Phase I : Chapter I.

Jan. 1, 1992

People crowded around the television to count down the new year. Overwhelmed, Orchid poured the champagne into the empty glasses. She could hear the excited murmurs as she tried her best to pour faster.

"Two minutes until the ball drops! Come on O!" Her husband, Mason called from the living room.

"I'm almost done." She replied, careful not to spill the champagne. Just as she finished, she spun to sit the empty bottle on the counter. The gust of wind knocks over a filled glass and shatters in pieces on the marble floor. Orchid cursed herself as she crouched to pick up the pieces. The sound of footsteps appeared closer as she cleaned the floor.

"You need some help?" From the view of patten leather shoes, she knew it wasn't her husband. Instead, it was his best friend and co-worker, Quentin.

"Um. You can take those drinks in there for me. Thanks." She mumbled and threw the big pieces of glass into the trash.

"Let them get they own shit. They grown as hell." He said and she laughed which eased her nerves.

"I agree with you one hundred percent, but I wouldn't be a good hostess if I didn't serve drinks." She said and Quentin nodded in understanding.

"You sure you don't want help?" He questioned sincere. Her husband called for her again and she raised her eyebrows in confirmation.

"You heard the man." She sighed and crouched down to clean up the remainder of the mess. Quentin grasped the tray of drinks to take them to the living room. All night she catered to the guest and he could see she was stressed. Her husband had her serving drinks and food all night like she was a maid. It upset him, but what could he say? Orchid heard the guest count down and cheer once the new year rang in. Instead of joining, she decided to clean the kitchen after cleaning the liquor off the floor. Food had to be put away along with dirty dishes needing to be cleaned. Placing food into the fridge, she dismissed her guest genuinely. Her husband entered the kitchen and leaned against the counter.

"We about to head to Tay's club to continue celebrating. You want to come?" He questioned and Orchid shook her head no.

"No. I'm going to finish up here and then go to the house to meet with my sisters." She informed. With pouted lips, Mason nodded and leaned off the counter.

"Okay, tell everyone I said hi. Happy New Year sweetheart." He said and kissed her cheek.

"Happy New Year." She replied softly. Mason placed a hand on her arm for assurance and turned on his heel to leave. Orchid watched and locked eyes with Quentin who shared her sorrow. She gave him a small smile and he returned it before following behind his best friend to leave. The front door closed and locked which gave Orchid the relief of peace. She let her hair down from the aching bun and kicked off the heels that pained her feet. She headed up the stairs to change and ignored the last of the chores. Mason will be gone for hours and possibly too drunk to care about the mess. On the other side of town, Mari finished up in the shower and turned the knobs. She stepped on to the pink plush rug and wrapped a towel around her body as she traveled to her room. There resided her company who was getting dressed. He pulled his undershirt over his head and rolled it down his abdomen.

"What?" He smirked and turned to face her. Mari browsed through her drawers for her underwear.

"You know the rules Ju." She reminded and dried off, moisturizing her skin afterwards. He neared her and chuckled as he buckled his belt.

"I got to be gone before you get out the shower or before you open those pretty green eyes of yours." Mari playfully rolled her eyes as he caressed her chin.