Chapter 39

To say Kang was upset was an understatement. The man was absolutely furious as Sung looked at the man he could swear that he saw steam rising off of Kang's scalp like a kettle about to boil over. "You not only embarrassed me, you embarrassed the Army, you embarrassed your House, you embarrassed your country, but worst of all you embarrassed your Fire Lord!" Kang shouted, slamming his fist on the desk so hard it caused a cup that was sitting on the edge to jump up half an inch before settling back down. Personally Sung didn't think what he had said was all that embarrassing maybe to Kang and Zuko but certainly not to the Army as a whole, certainly not to the country as a whole, and most definitely not to his House, he had done more embarrassing things as Lord in his sleep than he had with the comments he had made earlier. it had been the truth. Though Sung at least had the tact to keep that opinion to himself. "You specifically told me your personal feelings would be of no concern, then you turn around and start shooting off at the mouth like you're a first year Cadet who doesn't know his right face from his left face!" Throughout his career Sung had been yelled at by superiors for a number of reasons, ranging from minor infractions to things that he admittedly deserved to be yelled at for, but this dressing down he was receiving from Kang certainly was at the top of the list.

"General." Sung said standing at the position of attention and his eyes glued to the back of Kang's tent. "I acknowledge that I overstepped. But in my opinion the Avatar was being a hypocrite."

"I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR OPINION GENERAL!" Kang shouted. He was mad, madder than Sung had ever seen the man. And that was saying something because before this Sung had thought how Kang acted at Wan Hill was as angry as the man could get. "Maybe you have a point, maybe you don't." Kang had at least stopped shouting but he was by no means calm. "But that was not the time nor was it the place to say what you said. I have half a mind to remove you from your command and you can spend the rest of this war as a file clerk." Kang picked up his cup and threw his head back, drinking the contents in one gulp. "I'd do it too if it weren't a waste of a fine Officer, right now I need every man with experience I have and you are one of my best." Kang pointed at Sung. "But make no mistake General, this is your one and only free pass, if I ever catch you doing that again I will convince Fire Lord Zuko to demote you in rank and send you to do the most pointless and menial tasks that this Army has. Do I make myself absolutely clear?"

Though Kang and Sung were the exact same rank, Kang had two decades worth of experience in time and in grade compared to Sung, this making him Sung's technical superior. Kang was one of Zuko's most trusted Generals and if Kang said he would do something he would most assuredly make sure that it was done. "I understand sir." Sung said.

Kang sighed like a weight had been lifted off of him. "Dismissed." His anger seeming to subside.

Sung bowed and performed a crisp about face. Walking out of the tent, the shower outside had become little more than a fine mist, many of the Soldiers about the camp having taken the risk of going without their ponchos now in favor of comfort. The ponchos kept a person decently dry for the most part, but by the Goddess were they uncomfortable to wear, especially in warmer climates. He had sweated gallons of water out on Ma'inka during that rain storm he, Azula, and Ty Lee had gone through.

It was early afternoon, the Avatar and Fire Lord Zuko having left the camp for the Sei'naka mansion some hour prior. Sung of course figured they were wasting their time using words, the last person House Sei'naka would want to see is the man who had ticked them off in the first place, even if it was an orchestrated event. Though perhaps Sung was wrong, he was a Soldier after all his specialty was solving problems with force not words. Maybe at least in this case talking things out would win the day, he wouldn't hold his breath though. Sung doubted there would be very many instances in this rebellion where talking would solve more than fighting.