Chapter 6

A low thunder rumbled across the sky, rain fell like Snow as Sung slowly creeped his way through a tall Oak Forest. The Smell of Salt in the air confirmed that the Ocean was close. As he and his troops moved forward Sung couldn't help but think back to his Days as a Ranger, moving through Forests just like this. In the Rangers Stalking and tracking were Key components of their contribution to the war.

Though more often than not Generals put them on the frontlines of Conventional Battles, Using Scouts as Shock troops. Training to be a Ranger was a brutal process that broke a Candidate and built them back up, they were taught how to live off the land, how to gather water when no rivers or lakes could be found, which plants were edible and which ones could be used for medicine.

Rangers were also taught to be experts in Non Conventional Warfare. Which areas were the best places to set up Ambushes, how to use the terrain against your opponent. How to stealthy move so as not to be spotted. It was an Art form that Sung had perfected During the hundred year War. He had participated and personally lead more Raids than he could count.  This combat Action now was no different, it was a slow March through uneven terrain, in less than ideal elements, with low visibility knowing any minute you could come in contact with the enemy.

Sung had spilt his Detachment into a wide Arch perfect for encirclement with him being at the Center. Not by his choice however, if he had things his way he would of been at the front. But June and his Troop leaders had insisted on it, they said he was too important to be directly in harms way. That without him to lead the attack would fall apart quickly.

That was a lie however, the Detachment had a strict chain of Command if he fell then June would take command, if she fell then the most Senior Troop Commander would take her place as so on. Sung suspected they thought he was more of a liability than anything else. In many ways after the war ended Sung had lost his taste for battle, all the bloodshed all the killing it hadn't been worth it. But at the same time he longed for the taste of battle again for it was all he had known for a long time, in some ways he wanted to fight again, finally find the opponent who would end his suffering.

Sungs train of thought was cut short by a raised hand from the lead Scout of the Detachment. In unison the group of forty dropped to their knees silently. He strained his ears to listen, the Only sounds he heard being the wet taps of rain drops as they hit leaves or the ground below. The Scout held up Four fingers on one hand then with all fingers outstretched he pointed to his left. Narrowing his Eyes Sung could just make out a group of three men in ragged red clothes that looked more akin to rags walking through the underbrush away from them, each carried a Dao on their hips, something else Sung noticed was that each wore a blood Red piece of cloth around their wrists, some kind of insignia Sung imagined.

One of the men at the back of the line held a rope which was attached to the wrists of a young woman. Her once elegant red robes were torn and covered with dirt and grime. Her hair messy. That woman was undoubtedly one of the women from the island who had been taken, They were on the right path. Taking a moment Sung pointed to three of his Subordinates, and then pointed to the three men, he then ran a thumb across his own throat. Lastly he pointed to himself and then he pointed to the woman.

The three Warriors nodded, reaching into their cloaks and pulling out Daggers. The Four then silently moved forward, creeping towards them men. Now Closer Sung begin to make out what they were saying to each other. "Man this Damn rain won't let up." One said to his companions.

"Can't last too much longer, isn't as heavy as it was last night." Another said.

"Yeah that's exactly what you said last night." The first said annoyance clear in his voice.

"Han is just upset he won't have a pretty lady to warm his cot tonight, ain't that right." The third said pulling on the rope and causing the woman to stumble forward with a shrek of fear and surprise. "This one will keep me nice and warm won't you?" The Woman didn't speak, her sobs being the only sound omitted.