(Chapter 20)

•••Katniss pov•••

PEETA!? PEETA!?... Are you there? Please answer me! I yell and instantly turn around to see two frightened children looking at their dead father lying there breathless, and pale, probably thinking what they would ever do without him.
I hear a loud and obnoxious bang and wake up, tears rolling down my face. I quickly turn my head and see that Peeta's still there. I gently lay my head on his chest and listen to the steady beet of his heart. I take a long deep breath, It was only a dream.
I slowly turn my head to the clock and see 1:42am written in red numbers. I then lay my head back down and try to fall back asleep, but it's useless, I can't. Not when tomorrow is just up ahead and it could be the new chapter of our lives that changes gradually. That after tomorrow nothing will ever be the same. I can't and will not sleep from fear of what follows in my path. I then remember the whole reason I'm up. The crash! I get up slowly trying to not wake Peeta because he needs as much sleep as he can get. Slowly I
make my way to the kitchen to find Rye on the floor covered in flour and bread dough.
"What are you doing?" I ask him scared that he might be hurt I ask "are you okay?"
"Ya, but I wanted to make daddy bread. That's the only way he will get better." Rye states with tears in his eyes. I bring him closer and just hold him for a good 10 minutes. I desperately want to cry but I will not. Not when the only thing keeping my children up is the fact that I'm stable and in control.
After a long hard night the morning comes and I'm getting more and more anxious/scared about Peeta's procedure. After he wakes up I help him get dressed and we drive to the hospital. Haymitch is watching the kids so that will give us some good time alone even though it might not be the best moments on peace we've had its still good to have just us for once. We pull into the hospital and some doctors show up to help Peeta on the stretcher and into the operating room. I sit there in the waiting room trying to forget about what all Is currently happening but I can't, it's just too important.
I try to pass the time by texting Haymitch, making sure the kids are okay. But it's obviously not working and the procedure is 4-5 hours long. I know that it's a big procedure but that's a long time for me to be away from him especially knowing that I wouldn't be able to live or breathe without him and neither would our children.
Soon a doctor comes and tells me that Peetas in room 14. I get so happy I practically fall out of my chair. Running down the hallway I look from door to door trying to find the one that's currently holing my precious, loving, caring husband.
I walk in and he gives me a big smile "I'm guessing the procedure went well." I ask and he responds by pressing his lips to mine. I'm so happy to have him back.
>>>>>>>
Once Peeta feels a little better I take him home and just as we walk in the door little feel come tumbling down the stairs.
"DADDY!" Willow says and jumps into Peetas arms. Even though he just had surgery he still manages to pick the kids up no problem. Then Rye comes into the hug and I decide to join in. I'm glad he's okay and I'm more glad that our family will still be the same after all we've been through in the past weeks.

••••••••••••••••••••
So sorry I haven't posted I've been really busy and also sorry I left you at a big cliff hanger. I love yall and thanks for reading. 💗