The calm before the storm

Narrator's POV

"Steve, hey," Y/n says, opening the door.

"Hey, is this a bad time?" Steve asks, following Y/n inside as he walks towards the kitchen.

"Kind of yeah, Susan is sick, so I have to cover for her, plus the oven broke, so I was asked to make more cupcakes and take them to the cafe," he explains, taking the cupcakes out of the oven, "I'm sorry, I don't think I'll be able to help you with the essay today."

"That's okay," Steve says, walking over to Y/n and grabbing the cupcakes from his hand. "What do you need help with?"

Y/n stared at Steve, surprised, but smiled at him, "Could you put those cupcakes in this box, please?"

"Of course, anything else?" he asked.

"Well, I need someone to drive me there," Y/n told him.

"You thought I was going to let you walk there?" Steve questioned. He smiled at Y/n and walked past them towards the table, "Come on, we don't want you to be late."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Time skip ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Y/n walked away from Hawkins Middle School as he said goodbye to his dad, he walked past the parking lot but froze in his tracks when he heard someone calling out his name. He turned around and saw Jonathan walking up to him.

"Good morning, Y/n," he said with a smile.

"Morning Jonathan, how are you?" Y/n asked.

"I'm doing alright, what about you?" Jonathan replied.

"I'm okay, a bit tired," he began saying, "Hey, I was wondering-"

Before Y/n could continue talking, the loud sound of a car engine blocked out his voice, Jonathan and Y/n both turned around at the noise and saw an unfamiliar blue car drive past them, which had parked across from where they were standing.

"Who's that?" Y/n asked, staring inside the car, he had never seen the guy in the driver's seat.

"I don't know; he's probably new," Jonathan told him.

The mysterious guy stepped out of the car, a cigarette between his lips, and looked around like he owned the place. From the passenger seat, a red-haired girl stepped out of the car, skating away towards the middle school on her skateboard.

"Come on, let's go," Y/n said to Jonathan as he started walking towards the school.

"What grade do you think he'll be joining?" Jonathan asked, following him.

"Unfortunately, I get the feeling he's a senior," he says as they both walk inside the main doors.

"What were you trying to say earlier?" Jonathan questioned.

"Oh, I wanted to ask you about what you said about Nancy a while back—do you still like her?" Y/n asks him.

"Maybe," he admits, "and you? What's going on between you and Steve?"

"Nothing's going on between us," Y/n tells him.

"But you like him?" Jonathan asks.

"Well yeah but-" Y/n stops talking, realizing what he just admitted, "Fuck, you didn't hear that."

"Oh, but I did," he says, smiling, "I can't believe you like Steve."

"Trust me, I couldn't believe it either." Y/n replies, "How's Will doing?"

"He's okay, way better than before, but I'm sure there are still things he struggles with, even if he doesn't talk about them," he explains, and the bell then starts ringing.