10 - Tensions and Truths

Lost in my thoughts for what seemed like an eternity, I finally arrived at my destination. It hadn't dawned on me until then that Noah had asked me to come to Smith Mansion, his family's home, which was significantly larger and more luxurious than I had anticipated. Summoning my courage, I pressed the doorbell, hoping it would be Noah who answered. To my disappointment, it was his sister, Adelaide or Addy, as she preferred to be called.

With a soft smile, I greeted her, "Hi Adelaide, Is Noah home?"

She responded with a Furious tone, correcting me, "It's Addy, not Adelaide, but whatever. That jerk is in his room. Just head up to the first floor, right by the stairs. That's where you'll find him."

I mustered a grin and retorted, "Sure, not the friendliest greeting, but hey, thanks. You're the sister of your jerk brother, after all, so that's expected". The relief washed over me as I watched her reaction, and it felt oddly satisfying to say those words. Despite her frown, I continued upstairs, where I found Noah, laughing at the whole situation.

"Hey, you're not supposed to be laughing at your sister," I scolded, trying to keep my tone light-hearted.

"She deserves it, Sadie. It's good to see someone taking a stand against that devil," Noah said, his voice laced with a mixture of frustration and amusement.

"I've never heard any brother and sister talk to each other like that. I mean, sure, Ivan and I joke around too, but you two seem really mean to each other," I remarked, surprised by the harsh exchange between Noah and his sister.

"I'm serious, Sadie. Adelaide and I can't stand each other. My entire family despises me. That's why I asked you to come here."

"I remember you mentioning it, but I'm not sure how I can assist," I said, feeling perplexed. As Noah led me inside, I followed him up to his room, feeling a mix of apprehension and curiosity about what he wanted to discuss. Once inside, he closed the door behind us, and I couldn't shake the feeling of being trapped in a room with him, alone.

"Sadie, I have a plan," Noah began, his voice low and serious. "It's about Adelaide, about my family, about everything."

I listened intently as Noah outlined his idea—a plan involving fake dating. My heart raced as he explained how he wanted me to play a crucial role in this scheme. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Fake dating? Me and Noah? It sounded like something straight out of a teen drama, and I was stunned that he would even suggest such a thing.

"I-I can't do this, Noah," I stammered, my mind reeling with disbelief. "This is insane. I can't pretend to date you just to... to what? Make your family think you're different?" Before I could finish my protest, I made a move to leave, but Noah quickly stepped in front of me, blocking my path. His hand reached out and grasped mine, and I felt a jolt of electricity shoot through me at his touch.

"Sadie, please," Noah pleaded, his eyes searching mine. "I know it sounds crazy, but this could work. You're the only one I can trust with this. Please, just hear me out."

I hesitated, torn between my instincts telling me to run and the undeniable pull of Noah's gaze. For a moment, we stood there, inches apart, the tension thick in the air. Then, with a shaky breath, I gently pulled my hand from his grasp. "I-I need some air," I whispered, my voice barely audible. "I'll be outside."

Without waiting for a response, I turned and fled from the room, my heart pounding in my chest. I couldn't shake the feeling that Noah's words had stirred something deep within me, something I wasn't sure I was ready to confront.

As I rushed down the hallway, trying to escape the overwhelming emotions swirling inside me, Noah's footsteps echoed behind me. Suddenly, he caught up and grabbed my arm, halting me in my tracks.