Murdered Neighbor

While the commotion was going on outside of the school building, my friends and I sat at the water fountain. We're watching the police and news casters reporting on the murders of Jenny Randall and Marnie Cooper.

I still couldn't believe that they're actually dead.

"I don't understand why the killer called Jill and Ava?" Olivia was confused.

"They've been tapped and they're related to Sidney. It makes it personal." Kirby replied as if it all made sense. Which it did.

"It pulls Jill and Ava up next on the victim chain. If the killer calls, you're dead, that's the rule." Charlie explained.

"Oh, lucky me..." I muttered sarcastically.

"An overused, done to death rule." Kirby rolled her eyes.

"You can blame techno J-horror." Charlie told her.

"What?" Olivia asked.

"The Ring, Grudge, One Missed Call." I listed.

"Someone's gotta bite it. You can't kill Sidney. She's victim royalty, she can't die." Charlie reasoned.

"Sure she can." Kirby disagreed.

"Yeah, her character has been gone since Stab 3 anyway." I mentioned.

"Too dicey. Potential backlash." Charlie shook his head.

"That's just from people who hate any originality," I rolled my eyes. "Laurie Strode bit it in Halloween 8, Ripley died in Alien 4. There's precedence."

"What are you guys talking about?" Olivia was totally clueless about our conversation.

"Stab, duh." I replied in an obvious tone.

"Someone's gonna make a sequel outta this. Stab 8: Return to Woodsboro." Charlie fantasized.

"Ugh, no more sequels," I groaned. "There can't be too many or else people will get bored of the recycled material. Look at Friday the 13th."

"Sidney hadn't come back here in years. Now she does and it can be nostalgic. Nostalgia always wins if you do it correctly."

"Right, so Sidney comes back and the killer is targeting me and my sister. Just perfect. I hope the killer can butcher me before the math and history test comes. They're gonna bite me in the ass." I smirked towards the end.

"This isn't a joke, Ava," Olivia scolded me and I rolled my eyes. "Yours and your sister's lives are at stake. This is real. This isn't a movie."

"But it will be." Charlie replied knowingly.

I hated to believe that it was true.

🔪

Sometime after school was over, Mom decided to have Chinese takeout for dinner. It's something simple and less of a hassle to cook for Sidney. She was family, not a guest after all.

Not having any homework today, Kirby was allowed to hang out and eat at my place which was cool. No offense to Olivia or anything, but Kirby was my best friend. Just like with Charlie, we bonded over liking horror movies. 

In the kitchen, me, Jill, Mom, and Kirby was getting ready for dinner. Jill and I was setting up the table while Mom was opening the takeout containers.

"She's so pretty," Kirby complimented, taking out the plates. She looked at Sidney who sits on the couch in the living room with Sheriff Riley. "You know, for what she went through, she must have scars everywhere."

"Shhh!" Jill and I shushed her.

"Her Mom was my sister," Mom mentioned. Jill and I exchanged annoyed glances at each other.