Who would suspect a child?

Struggling to carry all the bags, I call out,

"Dad. Dad. Dad!" Jesus Christ, "Dad!" I shriek, my voice echoes eerily throughout the empty house,

"Mnm?" Comes a mumble from the next room, typical of him, bet he's taking a nap.

"Whatever, thanks for the help, I'm gonna wait in the car." I nudge the door open with my foot and hold it open precariously, juggling my bags, I refuse to make two trips, which would undoubtedly be easier, but I guess I'm too lazy, or hyped up to bother. Levi watches, reclining comfortably in the back of the car, taking up as much room as possible, he tries not to laugh at my flustered attitude, it's okay for him, nothing seems to faze him, he just kind of drifts through life, assuming everything turns out okay. I wish I could do that. Once I've dumped my bags in the car, I get in and take out a notebook, then freeze. Noticing a figure across the street. I shade my eyes and squint,

"Hello?" I whisper, feeling a shiver up my spine.

"Margaret!" I whip around, choking down a scream.

"Oh my god Levi, quit it!" I snap, partially annoyed at the use of my full name, mostly because he scared me. Do his footsteps make sounds? "What do you want?"
He stands there confused, backing up a little to escape my fury, "Sorry," he tries his best to look sincere. "You were off with the fairies again? Anyway, Dad wants to know if you want these?" He holds up a bundle of letters, in a neat stack and tied with string.

"Where did you find those?" I ask in a level tone, trying not to hit him.
He shrugs, not picking up on my icy undertone. "The moving guys were dismantling your bed, these were under the mattress." He picks at them. "So, do you want them or not? I can just chuck them?" I bristle, having a silent debate with myself.

"No, that won't be necessary." I snatch them off him, my sweaty grip crumples the edges,

"Oh okay." Levi raises a brow and walks away slowly.

"Did you read them?" I call after him.

"No, I don't have a death wish, Also, like I want to read your disgusting love letters." He snorts. 

"They're not-" He shuts the door after him and I sigh, looking down at the envelopes, squeezing my eyes shut, I don't have time to think about this now, or ever. I bury the package at the bottom of a box full of books on the veranda.

"You right there, May?" Dad's pet name for me, I turn to him leaning against a doorframe, probably highly amused. "Looking for something, need any help?"

"Uh." My hand's still in the box, I shuffle around in it convincingly for a few seconds, picking up a random book, "I was gonna read this, in the car."
Dad smirks. "Zara the Zebra? Bit of a challenge for you isn't it?" I flip over the book I'm holding, which turns out to be a dog-eared paperback which might have entertained me when I was five.

"Yeah, So? Getting back to the classics!" I spit defensively, and with that, I shuffle off before more questions can be asked.

...........................

We've been waiting in the terminal for at least two hours, and Levi is getting frustrated, he's impatient at the best of times, we thought he might have had ADHD when he was younger, so obviously the delay bores him to the point where he would pull out his teeth just to have something to do. Dad is just as annoyed, jogging his legs irritably.

"You know what Levi?" I interrupt the silence. "You should definitely ask the check-girl about our flight, make sure they know you mean business."
Levi jumps to his feet, eager for an excuse to move around. "You are so right." He readily agrees, marching over to the woman behind the counter who looks as if she could use a coffee. I sigh, that should entertain him a while. I don't mind the delay as much, it gives me time to take things in, everything's been so hectic, we haven't really had time to just sit down and think about this crazy thing we blindly embarked on. We've been here so long, I even invented a game for myself, airport terminals are busy, and kind of surreal, so many people coming and going, so many languages spoken, so many damn taxis. So I would pick out one person from the crowd who interested me, and I'd give them a name, a place to go, and a backstory, like the woman over there who recently had her hair done, holding only a purse and a garment bag, tapping away on her phone, she looks rather run down and generally pissed off, I'd say that she's on her way to a wedding, judging by her flustered behavior it would be a brother or sister's, no ring herself, so she isn't married, older brother? Her name is Karen, and she hates the bride, thinks her brother made a huge mistake with her, and that forcing everyone to fly to Paris for a wedding is extravagant and inconsiderate. But deep down she wishes she had that, all she does is work, she's even dealing with her boss right now through text, she rushes off to her plane and I watch her go, I hope she has a great time and gets with the best man.