Intimate

Compared to them, we did not have our house built that big in order to have a more intimate environment.

At first, I did not know neither my stepfather nor Zee. Likewise, Zee did not know my mother and me. That way we warmed to each other even more. We used to cook and eat together most of the time.

While we were chatting with Benjamin, I saw someone approaching our table. It was Rachel, Zee's friend from school.

"Hi NuNew, what are you doing?"

She said hello to Benjamin, and then she spoke.

"I'm fine Rachel, what are you doing?"

"I came to meet my friend. I needed to ask you something, it just happened. Will you come to see me when you're done? I'm sitting inside with my friend."

"Of course."

When Rachel left, Benjamin looked at me.

"Where did this come from now?"

When Rachel disappeared from view, I answered.

"I do not know that."

I got up and walked over to Rachel when Benjamin said he was going to take his sister and go home. Her friend was also gone. We were both alone.

"NuNew, it was so, so good meeting you. There were some things I should have asked you. Actually, it's about Zee."

I felt chilled when Zee's name was mentioned.

My parents were friends with Rachel's family. Other than that, I knew that they went to the same high school as Zee. But my parents didn't get married when Zee was in high school, so I didn't know what happened between them in high school.

Now we were all going to the same university, but our departments were different.

Also, Zee and Rachel were two terms older than Benjamin and me.

"I am listening." I said to her.

"We were dating Zee in high school." She said directly.

As much as this information made my heart beat even faster, it didn't really concern me. I couldn't understand why she was telling me this.

"I went out of town for college. We broke up, but I came back to college here. We started talking again, but he's been very cold to me for almost a week. Frankly, I was worried. So you're his brother after all. You may know something."

I swallowed.

"I'm not just a brother but a half-brother. We're not that close to each other either. I don't know if he has someone in his life."

I was trying to get the conversation to end, but Rachel was dragging it on and on.

"Have you felt any change in his actions lately? Or has he brought home someone you don't know?"

She was trying to force words out of my mouth.

"I'm not a psychologist after all. I don't observe his every move. Other than that, I don't stay at home all the time. Maybe he did."

Rachel nodded as if to say 'I understand'.

"So how's his health?"

I felt like I was going to explode soon. Why was she so obsessed?

"Her father gets her a routine checkup. Don't worry."

She sighed, 'Oh'. What was Zee's health to him? Okay, she was an old high school friend, but even their departments were different in college.